Flash Suppressor for Mini-14?

DeadCalm

Having just read Black Hawk Down (wow, what a good read!), I was reminded again that night firing w/o flash control leaves one at a real disadvantage. So, thought a flash suppressor on the Mini-14 would be a good idea. Has anyone tried one? Results? Some suppressors are rumored to affect rifle accuracy; is this true? Any recommendation on makes and models? I notice that Bushmaster carries one made by Choate. And have heard that Vortex is good on the AR-15; do they have one for the Mini? Any thoughts on these questions are much appreciated.

I have a slotted supressor (not sure of brand)on a pre-ban mini and it works really well, its only open on the top so gas doesn't kick up dust in front of the shooter.. its like 3 inches long and well machined. It was on the rifle when i got it and pins through the front site pin.

I've heard VORTEX is the BEST on the market.

Dr.Rob

Accuracy is affected by the presence of a flash suppressor and it has been proven that on the flash suppressor equipped M14 produced a larger group than another which had the suppressor removed altogether. For sport/pleasure shooting, especially on the Mini14 it won't make a difference and I'd go with the vortex.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Have to agree with Gary on the Vortex. I installed one on my Mini-14, and even with the high flash Sellier & Bellot ammo, you hardly see any flash. Especially useful when hunting coyotes at dusk. :)

Thanks for the info.
Gary, do you know which suppressor(s) was used in the test you refer to, or is this just one of those immutable results of using any suppressor? I get sub-2 moa with factory ammo now, and would hope to not expand that to more than 3-3.5 moa.
Grayfox, how much has your Mini-30's accuracy declined, if any, since using the suppressor?
Dr. Rob, Sounds like yours could be one of the Choates. What kind of accuracy do you get?
MissileCop, I see the Vortex listed by both Brownell's and Bushmaster for the AR-15, but not for the Mini-14. Do you know a source for the Ruger?
Sorry to come back with so many more questions, but hope y'all will indulge me for one more round.

Deadcalm,
You can find the Vortex flash suppressor at www.firequest.com Click on the 'online catalog', then click on categories and go down to 'flash suppressors'. Another window will appear, and Mini-14 is at the bottom.
Also, be advised that it is a set screw model. Some LocTite 242, and it shouldn't come off at all. Silly me, I forgot to LocTite it, and it went flying off. Fortunately, it landed about 10 feet in front of my shooting position. It won't come off again, I guarantee it!

[This message has been edited by MissileCop (edited December 17, 1999).]

The tests I spoke of was conducted by the Army Marksmanship Training Unit with the standard birdcage flash suppressor found on the M14 rifle. That's why the National Match versions have the flash suppressor reamed out. A reamed out one has less adverse affect on the grouping than the normal suppressor. While it outwardly appears to be a flash suppressor, the NM version is subject to breakage (thanks to the weakening).

If you try it DeadCalm, share the results with us. Use the same ammo before and after please.

------------------

I'd recommend the Vortex. If you can't find a good price anywhere else, you can get it directly from Smith, the manufacturer.

If you're going to use Loctite on setscrews for a brake or flash suppressor, I'd recommend at least 271. On the advice of Mr. Smith hisself, I use Loctite 640. It won't come off, unless you put a torch to it and heat it to over 500 degrees.

My mini averages around 3.5 moa with its iron sights and flash suppressor. i think the rifle will shoot better.. if I could get more precise sights.

Its an older model (not a ranch) an the apeture sights are pretty coarse. I've never been a fan of military style sights, I'd much rather shoot with buckhorn sights when it comes to shooting for accuracy with iron.

Dr.Rob

DeadCalm,
I haven't noticed any decrease in accuracy since putting the flash suppressor on my mini-30. Of course this rifle never was a tack driver. Groups run about 3-4" at 100 yds with a 1 1/2 X 4 scope.

My GB will also deliver 3-4" groups. I can hit stationary clay pigeons at 100 yards with it. However, the key is not to let that barrel heat up. When you spray, you pray! Boy, the former is fun though!

------------------

Back