Flash-hider vs Compensators. Which did you choose and why?

Pond James Pond

I know what each does, but I also know there's always more to it than that!

I'm curious as to what people chose and why since I, myself, am leaning toward a flash-hider. But I am open to persuasion. My resistance to compensators goes back to when I was at an indoor range, behind some guy with a comp'ed AR and the blast wave was almost concussive. I did NOT like it, but then I was also not the one shooting and perhaps it's less noticeable.

But I am open to persuasion, so if my reasoning/knowledge means I am over-looking something worthwhile, do let me know!

(All in context of VZ58 in x39)

Either is pretty much a worthless appendage on a civilian AR unless you're a rapid fire match shooter. The only thing they're really good for is protecting the crown(and making shooters on either side flinch).

Either is pretty much a worthless appendage on a civilian AR unless you're a rapid fire match shooter. The only thing they're really good for is protecting the crown

Well, I do take part in matches and I do want to protect the crown and I do hope to buy one that allows a suppressor to be fitted.

I took the flash-hiders off my AR's and put thread protectors on them. It does change your point of impact, so whichever you choose, sight your rifle in afterwards.
I didn't like that I couldn't clean the end of the muzzle of carbon build-up as easy with a flash-hider or other muzzle device attached and I don't have a requirement to hide the muzzle flash.

Flash hiders and compensators are two very different things that do 2 very different, um, things.
If you think the muzzle blast from a braked .223 is bad, sit next to a guy with any magnum hunting rifle some time. A .338 Win nearly blew me off the bench. However, a brake will send some of the gasses and hence the muzzle blast, back into the shooter's face.
A flash hider doesn't do much of anything. Including hide the flash. More of a flash spreader.
Suppressors really don't have much place either. Slick toys though. You cannot suppress a supersonic round anyway.

Suppressors really don't have much place either. Slick toys though. You cannot suppress a supersonic round anyway.

Well, I have one on my .308 and I must say it was a great buy.

Significantly reduced recoil, significantly reduced noise, even if I still wear protection making it all a far more pleasant trip to the range.

In hunting I'd say there's a stronger argument for making them compulsory rather than prohibited, if one had to be chosen...

I think suppressors are very under-rated in many people's eyes. It's way more than making the sound less.

"Suppressors really don't have much place either. Slick toys though. You cannot suppress a supersonic round anyway."
Really???
No, you can't make a supersonic shot "silent" but you certainly can reduce the sound signature of that shot. Worked very well for me this morning when I popped a coyote within 200 yards of two houses and no one noticed.

Compensators are often obnoxious. On the other hand, pulling the trigger on an intermediate caliber rifle woth a magnified optic and watching the crosshairs barely move is pretty giggle-inducing for me.

So, generally, I tend to prefer compensators except on short-barrel rifles and rifles I would be shooting on indoor ranges a lot. In any type of timed competition*, everybody tends to go with compensators.

*By which I mean IPSC-style where time is part of the final score.

Since youre looking for a suppressor mount, one of these works well....

http://www.advanced-armament.com/BLACKOUT-51T-Flash-Hider_p_447.html

Blackout-51T.jpg

Mounts one of these....
images

Came in second in this test....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JkmWVCd674

A flash hider doesn't do much of anything. Including hide the flash. More of a flash spreader.
You must not have been around many.

I can shoot my .223's from in my carport without hearing protection. I cant do that with a .22lr fired from a rifle in the same spot. According to AAC, my M4-2000 eliminates around 95-97% of the muzzle blast, or so they claim. Im not arguing with them, they seem to be pretty close. You do get that sonic crack, but there is no muzzle blast.

Go with something subsonic in 300BO, and its a whole different story.

I chose a compensator on mine. Contrary to what some say, the VZ58 does have recoil and the comp definitely tames the recoil and keeps the gun on target better. In most situations where you'll be shooting it, everybody else should have an appropriate level of hearing protection anyways.

I do take mine off in the house though. If I have to use it for defense, my hearing is going to take a big enough hit without the added blast

Hog Rifle

I put a GI/A10 flash hider on the .308 Savage Hog rifle, 2 reasons:

1)The factory knurled nut protecting the threads is noticeably oversized from the barrel diameter and looks odd. The A10 adds a tad of length, but gives the rifle a more finished look. Rugers thread protector on the American "Predator" is much better done and better looking .
2) The GI/A10 is cheap, even a really good one won't set you back more than 15-20$. I got mine from LaRue. It changed POI a bit, but groups remained the same.

There's an outfit selling a .30 "sound forwarder" , basically a flashider w/o flutes....but it's pretty bulky looking.

Point of order:
Flash HIDER and Flash SUPPRESSOR are NOT the same things.

I have to play terminology police here, but the terms are being used incorrectly.

A FLASH HIDER is a solid (non perforated) generally cone shaped attachment to the muzzle. It "hides" (with varying degrees of success) some of the muzzle flash from the shooter. It's not very common these days, flash suppressors have pretty much taken over that function. Flash hiders can be found on several WWII era weapons, and are still used on some .50 cal M2 machineguns.

A FLASH SUPPRESSOR is perforated. It has holes, or slots, and it breaks up the large round fireball of the muzzle flash, when viewed from behind or the side. (nothing hides the flash from the people you are shooting at,;)) Extremely common today on nearly all military rifles and machineguns.

The slotted device on the end of an M16 is a Flash Suppressor, NOT a flash HIDER.

A COMPENSATOR is similar to a flash suppressor, but the holes/slots are angled so that some of the powder gas is used to compensate for muzzle movement. Often used to help hold the muzzle rise down during recoil. The original "Cutts Compensator" was intended to do this for the Tommygun.

A MUZZLE BRAKE is a compensator, where the primary intent is to compensate for the recoil, and is usually vented to the sides, not up as many compensators are.

There are combinations of flash suppressor & compensator/muzzle brake.

Hope this helps clarify things.

there ya go

Well, I did not know THAT.........in fact, I have never seen the terms "flash SUPPRESSOR" in combination used previously.

Believed that if a muzzle device was not a suppressor (can) , a brake, or a compensator, then it was a flash hider......slotted, perforated, or coned.

You just don't know what you don't know.

I have fallen in love with linear compensators, as they do a bit of everything.
They direct sound and blast away from the shooter.
They break up and hide the flash a bit.
And they reduce recoil a smidge.

I'd rather have a can but for the cost:(

Back