Flare gun - good price?

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
Hi all,

Found a flare gun at an antique store. The gun is a copper colored grip and frame, silver colored (steel?) 6 or 7 inch barrel. It's behind glass, so have not handled the gun yet. I forgot to write the manufacturer's name down, but it comes with two aluminum cases that have "Parachute Flare" written on the sides. Cases are about five inches long.

I *think* it was made by Hamilton, but am not sure.

Does not seem to be military. Looks like something a commercial ship would carry.

Questions - the rounds look to be 25.6mm or 30mm. Can I get more rounds for this? Is a price of $225 unreasonable? Any info would be appreciated..

Giz

Gizmo, I'll chime in here since no else has.
Let me begin by saying that I know next to nothing about flare guns. However, I see them for sale quite frequently and $225 is a bunch compared those I've seen. Most run in the under a hundred bucks range. I'm sure there are certain models that hold collector interest though. But if it were me and I was simply wanting one as either a novelty or to be used in case I was shoot down at sea I'd look else where.

------------------
Gunslinger

Gizmo...maybe better to go for a WW1 or 2 genuine German or British flare gun or even a fuze-gun from EG Jansa Arms in Sydney or Cobb and Co in Melbourne.
For under $250USD you will get a really good genuine one with a bit of collector's interest. (You will also save a good piece from the federal govnt crusher too in OZ...)

The one you describe does not have much appeal IMHO.

How about maybe converting it to a 12GA pistol for a coffee-table talking piece...{laugh here please.}

------------------
A thought from 'Big Bunny'...."The sword does not kill, it is a tool in the hands of the killer".... Seneca 'the younger' (circa AD 35)

Back