Flag burning on the Fourth?

Poz

One of my friends just recounted a story to me about how, at a summer camp heavily advertised by public school, she burned the American flag while singing the national anthem on the Fourth of July. Anybody ever hear about this?

-Poz

POZ:
It sounds to me like it was a "Flag Retirement Ceremony" This is common on the 4th for many Veteran's organizations and the like.

They collect The American Flags that have outgrown their use due to age, deteriation etc. The flags are then burned rather than allowed to remain in a deteriated condition.

If you have never attended one it is quite a ceremony. Check with your State American Legion office. They generally have a "Flag Retirement Ceremony" during their annual convention.

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited April 26, 1999).]

Harley is correct. Old, worn or damaged flags are destroyed by burning. I have taken part in a number of flag retirements including one for a large fifty foot flag which required about 100 people to do it correctly.
The proper procedure is to cut the flag in the following manner. Cut the blue star field as one part. Cut each stripe as a seperate piece. For a large flag the stripes may be cut into smaller pieces. The pieces are gently placed in the fire, never thrown. The blue field goes in last as one single piece. BTW: as with all flags, be careful not to let it touch the ground even while being cut.
We have used flag retirement ceremonies as a closing ceremony at Boy Scout district and council events. If we have serveral flags to retire we will give the pieces out so people may place them in the fire as they leave. It is a quiet and thoughtful moment where more than one leaves with a tear in their eye.

Grayfox: Is there a proper way to bury a flag? If I remember my Scout days, a flag may be burned or buried as a means of retirement.

------------------
(!)

Back