Fixing stripped stock screws?

Icopy

A few days ago, I purchased one of those Romanian 22 training rifles. To say the rifle was packed in grease would be an understatement. So when I break it down to clean it, I notice that the rear trigger plate screw, screws right into the wood. If that screw hole ever strips, how would I fix it? Should I fill the hole with wood putty now to prevent it from stripping in the future? Thanks in advance.

Old woodworkers' trick for stripped screw holes. Coat wood match in glue, push in hole and let dry. Drill pilot hole and install screw. Mick.

Icopy,
I have used a trick I read in one of Brownells' "Gunsmith Kinks" books. Fill the hole with fine steel wool before driving the screw in.

A trick I use when I strip a screw hole in my stocks, or drill a hole off center is to simply drill it out oversize and glue in a new piece of (I like to stay away from end grain) wood with epoxy. After it's dry dress it down to the surface and redrill the hole, usually I take pains to not repeat the accident this time around.

Icopy:

Here is how I fix wood screws that might be removed in the future ( for cleaning, etc)

I have a length of 5/16 threaded brass rod that I got from a hardware store.

Drill out the wood with tap size drill and screw the rod into the wood.

Cut rod off flush and file it smooth on the end

Drill and tap the brass "insert" for something like a 10-32 machine screw and use that to hold things together.

This should last for roughly 50 years, even if you take the gun apart every month or so <VBG>

Jim

------------------
Lay up some blackpowder and flints
The rest we can build, if need be

Another trick I've seen (for home repairs, but I don't see why it wouldn't work in this case) is similar to the match trick above. That author suggested a golf tee, lubricated with Elmers wood glue. Drive into the stripped hole, let dry, drill a new hole.

This seems to be one of those things you just learn as you mature. When you're a little boy, tightening something with all your strength is not enough. Then, you become stronger, and strip nearly everything for awhile. ;) I'm in the 'got it just about right' stage right now. I assume, late in life, you return to the 'can't get it tight' stage again. ;)

Live and let live. Regards from AZ

Jeff - good observations. I remember telling my son to take it easy on some sparkplugs he was installing and trying to get as tight as possible. I told him they weren't holding the engine together and don't have to be that tight.

I think the only screws on a gun that have to be as tight as you can possibly get them is the scope mount screws.

Gentlemen --

I wanted to take a moment anf thank all of you for your input, especially to another member of this board who sent me his 40% off coupon for GunSmith Kinks. Since the wood has yet to strip, I'm going to perform some preventative maintenance. I'm going to use wood hardener on the wood threads. This should add some life to them. Again, thanks to all.

Back