fixing an old M-1 ....

DannyO

I recently received an old M-1 Garand from my dad when I got out of the Marines. He was in during Korea and I served during the Gulf. He was interested in shooting it again and he wanted me to check it out first. I cleaned it and lubed it. The action worked well but I only got to fire 1 round before something came loose. It is right under the barrel. It is a threaded component but it seems to be stripped. I would like to get this rifle fixed and take my dad out shooting someday. I have looked around the area but can't seem to find anyone to fix it. Does anyone know a person in the Massachusetts area that does work like this? I would consider sending it out of state but I don't know the legal issues around shipping a firearm. Any help would be appreciated. Semper Fi.

------------------

Danny O, Is it under the barrel under the front sight? If it is it could be the gas cylinder plug. Is the plug stripped or the cylinder? Or, is it something else. If it is the plug or gas cylinder these can easily be replaced by you probably.

Joefo

DannyO, does the part look like #7 in this image? Is it chromed on one end?

explod-v.jpg

Danny

Welcome to TFL. I'm sure you'll find the answer to you problem here. The members are alway will available in such endevors. . Hope to see you around alot

As us Jarheads say... Welcome Aboard!

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

About the only threaded compnents I can think of in that area off hand would be the gas cylinder plug right under the muzzle. The only other threaded part I can think of off hand would be the barrel but if that was the case, I am pretty sure you'd know it. :) Anyways, if it's the plug that's stripped, you can just get a replacement from Fulton Armory. If it's the gas cylinder, that can also be replaced with a replacement part. If it's the gas cylinder lock, taht can be replaced but if it's the threads on teh barrel, you might have to replace the barrel. The barrels are easy to find and replacing the barrel isn't too hard but requires some pretty pricey tools to turn the barrel in and set the headspace. That would be better left up to a gunsmith that already has the tools to do it. BTW, Semper Fi and welcome aboard.

Sir,

Welcome to TFL. Threaded part under the barrel has to be the gas cylinder plug. Make sure your gas cylinder is ok also, the threads are good, and it is good on gauge.

If your father got the m1 from your local VFW make sure the gas port hole in the barrel hasnt been heat treated shut. They did that to some of them for shooting 21 gun salutes in NON-semi-auto (single fire only) at funerals and such other functions as the VFW members attend

For most of your m1 needs go to www.fulton-armory.com

also
www.chestnutridge.com (Chestnutridge Supply)

Is a great source for m1 stuff. Ask for Marlene. She will help you out. I like to give these guys my business since they are in my neck of the woods.

Orso

Thanks to all who replied to my post. I think the part in question is the gas plug. Hopefully this is an easy fix and I can get out to the range asap.
By the way. This is the 3rd place I have posted this question and it's the only place I've received a reply. I'm glad I took the time to register.

------------------
Semper Fi

Thats why TFL is the best dang BB on the web. :D

There are a couple things I will ask of you in exchange for the help given...

First - Let us know if that was the problem and if you got it fixed... and

Second (and most improtant!) An after action report after you & your father get back from the range with the rifle. How did it shoot, did your Dad enjoy getting behind it, etc. *

* a thinly vailed attempt to keeping you an active poster. ;)

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

If you need any Garand parts try looking on GunBroker.com or eBay.com and bidding on them. Lots of times you will be amazed at waht is theere for auction. I have even seen trigger complete trigger groups (new) barrels (new) op rods (some even NM). check it out!

------------------
Carlyle

Back