fixed power scope

zach_

Where does mirage start to come into play power wise on a scope? I am looking at scopes. I might get a fixed power scope. I want as much power a possible. I don't want to not be able to range or shoot when it gets hot at any point because my fixed power scope is not usable that day. Some days are over 100°. I usually go home shortly after it hits 100°, but I still want to have the ability to stay and shoot. I have had days where my 14 power setting was a little too much on my Nikon a far as mirage. Does the quality of glass lessen the mirage situation? I hope to use the scope out to 1000 yards.

Thank You

I use veribles and fixed power scopes in all kinds of weather and do not have a problem with mirage . You can see the heat waves but they donot efect shooting .

Trust me, you don't want to get rid of mirage. If you can read mirage you'll know what the wind is doing down range. If you know what the wind is doing you'll be a better shooter all the way around.

The glass isn't going to remove mirage. That's distortion from air density changing due to heat from the barrel warming up, not from imperfections in the glass. You'll need to cool the gun down, or have a heat shield, in order to remove mirage from the gun. If you're picking up too much mirage downrange, then that's something you'll have to train to deal with.

Zach,

Depending on the conditions, 14x might be enought really see the mirage. I know that you can at 10x, and that you definitely can at 16x. But if your scope is set up with parralax adjustment, you can generally focus on the target and minimize the mirage that way. Mirage is most noticeable when the optic is focused on the air in front of the target, which is how we watch trace through a spotting scope.

If you want a fixed power that shoots out to 1000, it is hard to beat the fixed tactical 10x scopes. If it is purely known distance target work, get a variable power scope and cover all bases.

Jimro

Thanks for the responses.

I am looking at the swfa fixed power, or the vortex viper pst ffp 6x20-50. The swfa' s are $300.00, the vortex is $950.00. $650.00 buys lots of GMMK ammo...... , well, some anyway.

SWFA - I have not had a chance to look through the swfa's. The reviews of the product are good. The reviews of their product availability/business practices are not so good. I believe the product reviews. I am not sure about the source of the business practice reviews. I can drive to their home base in about an hour if I decide to go that route.

Is there an advantage with side focus over rear focus on the swfa scopes other than ergonomics?

Vortex - Great reviews and product availability is good.

Some of the ranges in the area offer a series of targets that are known size at unknown distances. I am looking forward to shooting in that scenario.

Last edited:
Mirage is your friend. It tell what is going to happen to your bullet in flight so you can adjust for it.

As to fixed power. I shot a lot of 1000 yard matches and found the 10X to be best for me. You can see the spotters used on the target yet mirage doesn't wash out the target.

Something few consider; as you shoot, the barrel gets hot and you get heat waves off the barrel. This interferes with using the mirage. Barrel bands are critical for breaking up the heat waves off the barrel.

Regardless of what power you decide to use, a spotting scope will still be needed. You want to focus the rifle on the target. But you need to read the mirage at the point where the wind effects the bullet the most, that being mid range (1/2 - 2/3s) distance to the target. Use the spotting scope to read the mirage and the scope to shoot.

Zach,

Rear focus can make using flip up lens covers more difficult. If you don't plan on using flip up lens covers there isn't any optical advantage to rear focus of which I'm aware. Side focus is more convenient though.

Jimro

I have 2 rear focus model SWFA Scopes. I am looking to upgrade them currently but they have been fantastic scopes for me and I very often recommend them to folk especially ones looking for a budget tactical scope.

As to which focus, the rear focus on the SWFA will not interfer with using scope caps as it replaces what would be the power ring on a variable scope. I think ergonomics is probably the only advantage I would find with the side focus model. Up to you whether thats worth a extra hundred or not.

You going home at 100F because of the heat or mirage? You need to read the mirage if you plan on shooting in 100 F heat. Mirage appears long before then anyway.
Fixed or variable won't matter. Mirage is there anyway. Mirage affects shooting with iron sights too.

Jimro, what's a "rear focus" scope that adjusts for targets being sharp and in focus? Never heard of such an animal. Front and side focus; they're common.

Having fired a few thousand shots with scopes aiming through the hot air coming off a rifle barrel, I've never seen any mirage caused by barrel heat in calm air. The slightest crosswind blows it off anyway. And the barrel bands I tried soon got tossed aside when using either scopes or metallic sights. They acted like a sail in cross winds buffeting the rifle around increasing the aiming area I could hold in.

Focusing the scope about 2/3 downrange to the target lets the mirage be seen through a scope; easier with higher magnifications. When you see the wrinkling heat waves pick up in speed, hold into the wind a bit and you'll hit what you want to.

Bart the SWFA scopes have their paralax adjust on the rear of the scope where the power ring would be on a variable scope. I think side focus is best, but the SWFA rear focus is definitely leaps easier to use over a AO

Thanks again to everyone for the input.

I am leaning towards the swfa 16 power fixed...., at this hour anyway. The prices on the fixed power swfa' s are the same for 10, 12, 16 and 20 power. I can't find a Weaver dealer with fixed power scopes in stock to look at. I can't resist the need to look through the exact scope I am purchasing prior to paying.

I go home at about 100° because of the heat. The ranges I go to now pretty much clear out as well at that time. If I travel 2-3 hours or more round trip to shoot, I might be able to stay a little past 100°.

Spotting scope - I was checking out my spotting scope yesterday. I can see nail heads on chimney trim at about 500 yards (Google maps range estimation function). I hope my existing spotting scope will work without having to be replaced. Thoughts????

Last edited:
Polinese, thanks for the rear focus clarification.

It's not really a parallax adjustment; that's fixed by moving one's eye back onto the optical axis of the scope. It's a range focus adjustment that focuses the target image on the reticule by moving the reticule or the power change lenses back and forth to be in the same plane as the target image focused by all the other lenses in front of the reticule..

I'm surprised that any scope maker would put that adjustment in the back end if the scope's repeatability from shot to shot is important.

Bart, it sounds like you checked out the swfa scopes. Will the side focus option remedy the repeatability issue with the focus function being located at the rear?

I want to see some of the Weaver products that you speak of. I can't find a dealer with any in stock to check out close to home.

Back