fixed or adjustable sights?

baj

Hello,
I'm thinking of purchasing a general purpose 4-inch .357 revolver such as a Ruger GP-100 for home defense and target shooting/plinking. No concealed carry, no competitive shooting. Am I better off with the adjustable sights or will fixed sights be fine for my purposes? How concerned about accuracy do I need to be before this matters? I would appreciate any opinions on this.
Thanks.

I target shoot again'st myself In 22 Cal and 38 Spl.
and I am really glad I decided to get adjustable sights.
If your going to be shooting lets say 50' at NRA targets
I would recommend getting the Adjustable sights it sure makes it easyer to put those bullets in the 10 ring.
If your going to be target shooting up closer then that, then I don't think the adjustable sights are as important.

Best Tony

The adjustable sights on my pair of GP100's have proved to be extremely rugged.
And I easily, quickly, and inexpensively installed Millett orange-ramp front blades on them both, too.

Try it, you'll like it.....

I recently got a 4" barrel Ruger 357 GP-100 (like WESHOOT2 has) with adjustables. This is a very general purpose gun and for that reason alone I'd recommend adjustables. I like having the confidence that the bullet will go where the sights point. Similarly to WESHOOT2 (my revolver mentor whom I emulate in these matters), I replaced the stock front sight with a similar Ruger sight with a red insert.

Fixed vs Adjustable sights

Frankly I would go with the adjustable sights. These days adjustables are sturdy and give you the advantage of being able to adjust for different loads and ranges. And while at this time you're not considering target or carrying, that could change and then you'll be glad you got the adjustable sights. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Baj: That gun, used for the purposes you stated: adjustable sights are definitely indicated.
But for many shooters, especially those looking for a utiliy gun at a low price, fixed sights that 'shoot where they look' are perfectly good.
I have a minty 1940's era Colt Official Police 6", and my pard has a like-new 1950's S&W M&P 5", both .38 specials, both with fixed sights. With factory loads or equivalent handloads, they shoot exactly on top of the front sights, and are accurate enough to put a Crackerjack auto to shame.
They cost peanuts when we bought them a few years ago, because they weren't magnums; and had fixed sights.
If you luck upon one of these nice older guns in great shape, don't turn it down just because the sights are fixed. It could be the gun bargain of your lifetime.

It depends......

Brother Slabsides has the issue at hand: "...(a) gun...for the purposes you stated".

The advantage of adjustable sights is that you may adjust them for your own hands, eyes, and loads.

A fixed sighted pistol or revolver is no less accurate, but the sights may not be aligned with the ammo you use. Fixed sights can be altered to suit, but obviously cannot be casually changed to address casual changes in ammo choice.

Unless you find a "bargain", go for the adjustable sight models.

The key thing with fixed sights is, as slabsides has mentioned, that they "shoot where they look". I have a 3" Taurus 65 (fixed sights) that shoots exactly where I point it and I love it. But I have run into enough fixed sight guns (Ruger, Colt, and Dan Wesson) that do not shoot to point of aim that I also would recommend that you go with the adjustables for your stated purpose.

One other little note to add to what I said earlier. When I broke in my KGP-141 I used 125 gr. UMC softpoints. While I was breaking it in I also sighted it in. When I switched to 158 gr. plated bullets, the impact point was almost 3" higher at 50 feet. Not important to personal defense at close range, but important if you target shoot or even plink. Just food for thought.

Back