Fixed or Adjustable Sight??

Cyric13

I'm planning on building my first 1911 and was wondering which sight type you guys pefer and why? For what it's worth I don't compete yet. Also was wondering what ype of sight picture you guys perfer target, ghost or diamond?

thanks Cyric

[Edited by Cyric13 on 12-07-2000 at 02:48 PM]

Often, 1911's have adjustable sights on them. I guess it depends on what the gun is going to be used for. For close up self defense, then fixed will do and you'll be able to buy a few boxes of your favorite hollowpoints with the money you saved and see how they function in your pistol.

Competators like to have adjustable though.
Whatever tickles your pickle ;)
Ben

The only time I've found adjustable sights useful is when I tend to shot a lot of different types of ammo -- different weight projectiles, for example. Then, adjustable sights let you compensate for the different points of impact.

But as Ben said, if your shooting is mostly in preparation for self-defense, up close and personal, it might not matter.

it's like a honda

a building 1911 is like modifying a honda accord/civic (i was gonna say chevy small-block, but does anyone remember those days?)

there are so many options out there that the first thing you have to do is define your need.

if you can live with one bullet weight, most loadings shoot to the same point of impact; then all you have to decide is between the 230, 200, 185 and 165 gr bullets.

i carry my sig 220 both on and off duty and have never had a problem qualifying, using fixed sights, with the speer 200gr jhp, federal 185 & 165 jhp.

i like the heine slant-pro on my lt. wt. officer acp, but i'm considering the novak ghost-ring(lower half only)and the ashley express. i'm trading precision for speed of sight acquisition.

i also like night sights with a dot in front and a verticle bar at the rear, i think this gives me back some of my verticle alignment from going with the more open sights.

try them all out and go with what works

I've spent mucho $ on auto sights; my next 1911 slide will wear an MMC adjustable rear, and an Ashley dot front (mid-size, I think, counting on how bad my eyes have gotten by then).

Focus on the front sight, but make the rear big enough for some light.
My 1911 now wears a Caspian optic-fiber rod front (I think it's the .060" version, in green), with a Bomar rear base / Caspian ghost-ring blade.

Most of my other autos have yellow BrightSights sight painted fronts, with Mec Gar or Pachmayr rear adjustables.

All my Rugers (but one, a 7.5" .357 Redhawk with the gold bead front) have Millett orange-ramp fronts and stock rears.

Every 'normal' (excluding carry-type 'always') gun I own has an adjustable rear. Have never broke one; I don't baby my guns.

Back