Fitting a new Rem ADL "plastic" stock to a 721

Picher

My son inherited a Rem 721, 30-06 from his father-in-law several years ago, but hasn't used it because he has a nicer, lighter 700 BDL that I had given him in the same caliber. Now he wants to modernize and lighten it, so went ahead and bought an ADL stock, a new mount, and new scope, then brought it to me to get everything to work.

The stock screw holes are good, but the metal doesn't fit easily. I had to grind plastic on the right side to make room for the safety mechanism, file the bottom flat, remove the metal insert on the front screw hole and set it deeper, relieving the plastic to allow the metal floorplate to sit there.

Next, I drilled the front and rear holes to insert pillars and made pillars from 1/2" steel tubing, roughing up the exteriors to hold epoxy. Next thing will be to rout the action area with a Dremel and epoxy bed the action/pillars. The barrel is already free-floating.

I could have replaced the old metal with new, but kinda like the effect of the full metal. I shortened the steel magazine box to fit inside the new stock. The stock is flexible enough as-is, so didn't want to weaken it by making a magazine hole.

The rifle will be ready in a couple of days, including the scope installation. My son will give it to his son as a 16th Christmas/birthday present this year. Getting his deceased grandfather's rifle, customized by his other grandfather should make it a "keeper" for quite a while. It will be memorable Christmas present, for sure. He's only hunted for three years, but shot deer every year, so far.

Sighted the "new" rifle in at 100 yards and was very pleased to shoot a 5/8", 3-shot group with my 125gr. Sierra handloads. Next, fired two shots with Rem Core-Loct 150s and they were only 7/8" apart and the two groups were about an inch apart.

Guess the barrel is pretty good on the old rifle and the pillar bedding, with significant upward pressure on the barrel, proved to be the ticket. (Although I had removed the small pads at the forend tip, the barrel isn't free-floating, after fitting the action.)

Grandson is going to love that rifle!

JP

Last edited:
A lot of love and history in that rifle. Congratulations. I hope it stays within the family for generations. IMHO some of the most valuable firearms are worthless to anyone else. You have some real value being passed down and the ability to make even more value with its service in the field.

Thank you for sharing your experience. :cool:

CedarGrove357:

You're certainly right about having little monetary value to this rifle, but family value should be greater. We still have the old stock, should he ever want it back the same way, but doubt it. It should have more sentimental value, having both grandfathers involved...especially after I'm gone (in about 50 years). ;)

I think you made the right decision. I am biased, I did the same thing with my 721.

I am also going to warn you about the extractor on your model 721. the small spring steel ring in the face has been "NLA" for quite some time and are virtually impossible to find now.

My answer to this was to upgrade my 721 with a 700 bolt. The bolt is a drop in, but it required the tang on the safety mechanism that locks the 721 bolt closed in safe mode had to be removed. The bolt handle is also a slightly different angle, which fit the ADL stock fine.

Thanks for the information iraiam.

Everything is working fine right now, but will keep the bolt replacement in mind, should the old one fail.

Back