First Turkey

MikeGunz

After four days of hunting I was finally able to bag my first turkey! My shot placement was bad and I ruined a lot of the meat. Think I was just so excited and wanted to drop it. Still got a hefty amount of breast and leg meat out of the 19.5 lb turkey though
IMAG0023.jpg

Last edited:
Still got a hefty amount of breast and leg meat out of the 19.5 lb turkey though
21# before the shot but you know you are grouping tight at the distance you fired, right?:D

Brent

Still got a hefty amount of breast and leg meat out of the 19.5 lb turkey though

I take it you ain't tried to eat that "leg meat' yet.

Congrats on your first bird. Looks to be a good one.

Think I was just so excited and wanted to drop it.

Hopefully that will never change. You will get better control over your nerves as you become more accustomed to birds comin' in, but if you lose the excitement, you're done.

Get one of those large "deep fat fryers" where you drop the whole turkey in and they'll come out tender and juicy. (Cook it outside!).....

The meat is in a brine sitting in the fridge now. I think im gunna attempt to grill the breasts, and crock pot the legs. I hear the legs are very very tough cooked any other way.

I think im gunna attempt to grill the breasts

Excellent idea. But like venison, wild turkey gets tough if overcooked. Grill it till it's dang near done, then take it off and let it stand for a few minutes and let it finish itself on the platter.

Back