First timer Rifle

Poz

My brother is considering grabbing up a rifle for generic use. He's taken all of the nesecary clases (hunter saftey.. blah blah blah INSERT BOY SCOUT EXPERIENCE HERE) And is of legal age (halleluijah) and now considering a firearm. At first he wanted something for Plinking/Homedefense/Varmits/He doesn't have one yet.
Howevver home defense is out of the picture as the only firarm my father allows in his home is the single shot 20 gauge in his clost. So.... what do you recogmend him getting (that won't break his bank)

-Poz

POZ:

I would recommend a light caliber rifle to begin with. There is little recoil, and teaching will be easier under those conditions. The anxiety of recoil will be eliminated and if taught correctly he will gain confidence with the light caliber.

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited May 26, 1999).]

How about a NEF Handi-rifle in .223 for about $200. Great starter rifle. Teaches shot placement and one shot one kill.

------------------
lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate

Not to be to glum, but I would recomend am M-1 Carbind or Ruger Mini 14 for about 400 if he has it, and a lot of mags. The M1 is being 'rebuilt' by IMI in houston should be around 400 retail. and 30carbine is a very nice cartidge and the Sights on the M1 are very nice.

Lever action rifle. Marlin 1895 in 45-70 or a Winchester 94 in 30-30 or either company's offering in 44 Mag. Light, easy handling, good for hunting. They may be had used for about $300.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

a basic bolt action in something like 243 would be better than the aforementioned. Its a better all around caliber and is still cheap to shoot compared to some others. A scope is probably the next order of business then.
i think savage might still be selling the basic 110 for close to 300 bucks.

How about the good ol' Ruger 10/22. It was my first rifle and I still have it. It is tons of fun to shoot, inexpensive to own and operate, and a great beginner rifle.

enjoy!

Olazul

Any good .22 LR repeater is fine, *so long as it's an accurate rifle*. We have a HUGE variety to choose from for under $200.00. Marlin alone has an enormous line of repeater .22's for under $160.00 that are quite capable of turning in accuracy that may well be beyond his original ability to attain.

I cannot stress enough the importance of low-caliber and high accuracy in a first rifle. If he can't attain good groups early on, then his ego will not be well-served, and will not push him to strive further into the realm of accurate rifle shooting.

A .22 will serve as a plinker, a light varminter (up to coyote), a target rifle, and can make a pretty decent defensive arm, if it's a repeater. Cheap ammo means he'll be able to practice, and inexpensive rifle means he can put the good sights on it that he needs to get its accuracy. (Why no one puts good peep sights on their rifles is beyond me...).

If he just HAS to have his first rifle be something he can take a deer with, I'd shop around for any kind of used rifle he can afford, so long as it's a .243 bolt action.
Short action, low recoil, and plenty of power to get the job done for 99% of the deer out there. Make sure that if the trigger and sights aren't up to par, he's got the spare $ to improve that.

------------------
If you're *not* a member of the NRA, what *are* you doing to protect your rights to enjoy yourself on this Bulletin Board?
Do SOMETHING!

I can't agree more about a .22. My 10/22 is an excellent rifle. It was my first, and to be honest, is still my favorite. I have a Williams receiver sight which makes it easier and in my opinion more fun to shoot. It is accurate and reliable. I love to shoot at varying ranges, from 25 yds to 125 yds to improve my skill level. I can shoot literally for hours for under $10. I used to wish they were available in synthetic stocked stainless (which they are now) but I have become fond of the blued hardwood stocked model. In fact, if I were to get another it would be the International model because of the beautiful wood.

If I had to do it again, I'd go with a surplus Mauser, Samco has some Swedish Mausers already sporterized in 6.5mm, or I'd prefer a 7 X 57. there are plenty around for less than $200 in original military or sporter models. Any extra money I'd spend on reloading equipment and get into reloading along with the shooting.
There's nothing quite as satisfying as "rolling" your own, and putting together the perfect load for the rifle.

Back