First Time Trap Shooting

NWCP

I've always used a shotgun for going after squirrel and rabbits. Never did hunt birds with the exception of crows on occasion. So here I am, retired and looking at shooting something other than furry critters with my old Model 12 20 GA. Problem is that I don't use my model 12's any longer. I have a 12 and 20 Winchester Model 12. They belonged to my dad and my grandfather so I cleaned them up and put them in the gun safe as family keepsakes.

That leaves me with a late model Wingmaster 20 GA pump and an old Browning Belgium made A5 12 GA that is nicely engraved but is only chambered for 2 3/4" shells. The A5 is a nice gun and operates well, but it does recoil. My question is would I be OK using my 20 GA Wingmaster for learning to shoot Trap, or do I need to get a semi auto, or over under?

i'm hoping to get by with the Wingmaster and am sure I don't want to mess with the A5's recoil all day long although it is a good shooting shotgun and looks nice. I'm hoping to get better at shooting winged creatures and figured Trap would be a start. Besides, it looks like it would be fun. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Trap

I'd go with the Browning before the 20 gauge. I am pretty sure that the recoil of a 20 gauge - a lighter gun probably - and the 12 are not that much different.
I have a Franchi 12 gauge field gun, patterned after the Browning. I have used it for Trap even though it is a very light SG. No big deal.

Try shooting the lightest and slowest payload that will work the A5. If it will operate with 1oz @ 1200 or lighter, you should be OK as far as actual recoil goes. Felt recoil (aka "kick") is a function of gun fit. If a light load still beats you up, then perhaps the gun needs to have some stock adjustments made so it fits you better.

There are plenty of very light 12 gauge loads these days, from all the ammo makers.
Some go as light as 28 gauge equivalents.
If they will work in your gun, that is.

(IMO), Shoot what ever you got. Of course that doesn't mean you can't buy a new shotgun. The clay birds can't tell the different between 12 & 20, 7/8 or 1 1/8 oz. of shot, or even the different between #7 1/2 & #8 shot.

Keep in mind your goal, and make a "Game Plan" to get there. A "Trap" gun wouldn't be my first choice for "Upland Bird" shooting, nor would I choose a light weight "Upland" gun to shoot 300 shells a day of Trap.

I'll repeat what I said earlier, "Shoot what ever you got" and have fun...

My question is would I be OK using my 20 GA Wingmaster for learning to shoot Trap, or do I need to get a semi auto, or over under?

To directly answer the OP's question. the answer is "yes".

Many shoot a semi for trap, but many a trap shooter doesn't appreciate being pelted by ejections from autoloader shooters, of which many if not most fail to use a shell catcher. Later on, you may or may not find that you need or want a dedicated trap gun, but the Wingmaster should be fine for learning regular trap (shooting single targets from the 16 yard line.

What is the barrel choked for if it is fixed. While many advocate a medium choke for 16 yard trap, some recommend a full since it makes you learn to center your shot.

Use the 20 gauge Remington and see how it works for you. Should be fine from the 16 yard line. After you shoot a bit if you decide you want something different you will be in a MUCH better position to get something you want. Buying the gun before ever shooting a discipline much is a lot like putting the cart before the horse to me.

My question is would I be OK using my 20 GA Wingmaster for learning to shoot Trap, or do I need to get a semi auto, or over under?

To see if you like it, by all means you can use the 20ga. If it were me however, I'd use the 12ga but either will get you to the line.

I recently got heavily into trap / 5 stand / sporting clays after just using my Mossberg 500 and a Do It All Trap Thrower. Once I started "real" trap at a local gun club, I was really hooked and after some time, and trying several guns, I ended up with a Beretta 686 Sporting O / U.

Just take whatever gun you are comfortable with and enjoy.

Back