First time owner looking for 1st handgun

Noxout

Inactive
Just a brief background on myself. I'm a 30 year old with limited exposure to firearms and/or shooting. I've only gone to a shooting range a few times with my father and brother in-law, one being retired law enforcement and the other currently working in law enforcement. After going with them a few times shooting I've decided to invest my own time and effort into shooting as a hobby/sport.

I'm hoping to get out and shoot more and more but man can life get busy! Practice is always best, I know that.

As for what I'm looking to get out of shooting first off is knowledge. I don't just wanna shoot I wanna learn about the firearms, ammo and all other aspects. But improving my overall skill is the first thing I'm looking to do. With my limited experience with firearms I know that every time I'm at the range will help. Baby steps I guess, gotta learn how to crawl before I can walk or run.

I can see myself enjoying shooting as a recreational hobby, golf and fishing aren't my thing that's for sure. Will I try to do it in a competitive setting, when I feel I'm comfortable enough I'd like to try, can't hurt.

With all that said, maybe too much. What would be a gun place to start in terms of a handgun?

If you are only wanting it for recreational purposes, a good .22LR is a great starting place. Ammo is cheap, recoil and noise are low, it is great practice for basic skills, and it is a lot of fun. A lot of people who shoot for fun and own multiple pistols have at least one .22LR pistol in their range bag for those reasons. Some good brands to look at include the Ruger Mark series, Beretta Neos, and Browning Buckmarks.

If you want a pistol that will serve for defensive purposes as well, you might do better starting with a 9 mm and making the .22LR your second pistol. The 9 mm round is considerably better defensively, but is still quite moderate in recoil, and is the cheapest center fire round going, at least in normal times. Brands of 9 mm are too numerous to mention, but Glock, Beretta, and Ruger will come up again, along with Springfield, Sig-Sauer, HK, and the value-priced but widely respected Bersa line.

On a defensive pistol you need to decide not only on caliber, but also on trigger action (single action, double action, or DA/SA) and whether or not you want a thumb safety, among other decisions. There are pluses and minuses to nearly every decision you make regarding handguns. Let us and your family know what you are thinking about, and you will get lots of help from the fine folks here on TFL.

a good .22LR is a great starting place. Ammo is cheap, recoil and noise are low

First, welcome.

The above is excellent advise for learning or improving your shooting skills, if you can afford two revolvers a high quality .22 should be one of them and a good quality .357 Magnum revolver should be the other. That way you have one to train with and one for personal defense. Remember that you can safely shoot 38 special ammo in a .357 Magnum revolver don't have to start off shooting magnum power ammo.

As for learning about firearms, there are a number of forums to read and ask questions on. There are also many different publications that offer varying degrees of information.

I agree with a .22 as your first handgun. Search the forum and you'll find hundreds of posts saying the same thing.

I would suggest to research and find out what type of firearm will suit your needs, including caliber, budget, and type of pistol.

If you want to get a pistol strictly for range/plinking and learning to shoot, a 22lr pistol is a great place to start. If you ultimately want to use the pistol for self defense, a 380 or 9mm would be adviceable.

Type of pistol, would you prefer a revolver or a semi-auto handgun? This is purely a preference. Both are good platforms, you just have to decide which would be better for you and which one you like. Pro's and con for each type i.e. Revolvers are very simple and reliable but have limited capacity, Semiauto can have more choices and increased capacity but more complicated to use for a beginner.

Finally what is your budget? This can decide what type/brand of handgun you will get. Spend the most amount you can afford on a quality brand of firearm.

So for my recommendations: a 22lr pistol like a Walther P22, a 9mm compact semiauto like a Glock19, or a revolver like a Ruger 357magnum

A .22lr is a good option for a beginner. However, I find most male adults that are just learning to shoot find them dull. There is NO BETTER WAY to learn fundamentals but they are not recommended or self-defense. Plus, it's easier to find an undiscovered solar system than reasonably priced .22lr ammo. (Not that any ammo is especially easy to find other than .410, .270 and 300WM)

I suggest a centerfire polymer framed duty-style pistol in whatever caliber your brother-in-law's service pistol is chambered. Why? You can always bum some practice ammo from him (which he'll get either free or cheap from the department) and you don't want to be the only guy in the group without a "real" gun.

Look at the XD, M&P, Glock and similar handguns. Get a model with 4"-5" barrel. They are simple to operate, clean and use. Out of the box, any of these will be great for self-defense and can be used bone-stock (without being "outgunned" in at least two types of competition.

As others have stated, a 22 LR is a great place to start. I personally started with a 9mm Beretta 92fs. I bought it for recreational and home defense purposes. Its a full size gun which is good for range and home defense but not for carrying either on your person or in your car (though mine rides with me most of the time). Along with size, its also quite heavy being all metal at I believe 36oz-ish empty which is good for range and HD as the weight absorbs much of the already mild 9mm recoil which in turn helps with accuracy and follow up shots, but is not good for concealed carry. Another plus to a full size semiautomatic pistol is ammo capacity, the 92fs is 15+1 though 17 rd mags are available. I usually load 10 at a time at the range just so I don't use a whole box of ammo in 3 mags. Many people dislike the slide mounted safety/decocker lever but it never bothered me as it was the first semi I ever fired. Its also ambidextrous (safety on both sides). This gun has a da/sa trigger which means first shot is the long heavy double action then the rest is single action. The grips is too bulky for some but I think it feels great in hand and I don't have big hands. Feild stripping is pie with this gun. I may not be breaking any records but I was able to field strip it and reassemble it in under 15 seconds the night I brought it home. I'm out of stuff to say about the 92fs for now so ill end with I highly recommend this gun but even if its not your choice, I hope you learned a thing or two about what to look for in your purchase. I tried to post a pic but my "smart"phone apparently is not capable so ill post one later

I would echo those recommending that you begin with a quality .22 but don't think of it as "just" a beginner's gun. You never outgrow a good .22. If after you get one and have the basic skills in hand, you feel like you cannot bear the idea of owning more than one gun, you can sell a quality .22 and buy a centerfire. I'd recommend keeping it and adding a centerfire.

I've always considered myself primarily a revolver guy but there are fewer good rimfire revolvers available now. It doesn't cost a manufacturer less to produce a .22 than to make a centerfire gun (in fact it may be more expensive), so the quality .22 revolvers tend to be pricey. You might look at a Ruger SP-101 as a good choice for a double action .22.

Another "fact of life" with .22 revolvers is that they tend to have heavier triggers than their centerfire brethren. This is because rimfire ammo tends to require a hearty smack to ensure reliable ignition. You can tune a .38 revolver to fire with a fairly light hammer strike.

All this causes me to recommend that you look at a .22 semiautomatic as a first handgun. Unless you really want a revolver of course, and are willing to pay more for a wheelgun.

Pass on the tacticool Walther P22 and Sig Mosquito or whatever. Buy a Ruger Mark III or 22/25 or a Browning Buckmark. They are similar in design, very well made and accurate. You have enough to deal with as a new shooter without struggling with reliability, poor accuracy, bad ergonomics, or gritty triggers.

A new one can often be found at or around $325. For a gun that will give you a lifetime of service, that's a bargain.

Then all you have to do is find ammo to feed it.

That's is good advice, but y'alll missed a few points.

Get some GOOD instruction unless the cops in the family are firearms intsructors or avid shooters I would skip using them. Most cops only qualify with thier duty weapon.

DRY FIRE - when have learned to proerly operate your pistol then dryfire is wonderful pratcise. Be sure you gun can be dry fired. READ THE MANUAL.

I've had rifles and shotguns all my life (65) but I didn't buy my first handgun until last year. I bought a 9mm semi-auto followed by a 22lr semi-auto (so I could practice affordably). This spring I bought a 22lr single action revolver with a 6 1/2" barrel. When I shoot, I prefer my capbuster (per my wife). I don't know if it is because it reminds me of the play guns I had as a kid in the 60s, the cowboy pictures I loved back then or the additional involvement of using a SAA revolver compared to a semi-auto.

Since you are interested in handguns as a sport/hobby, I think you might enjoy "cowboy" guns (something like a Ruger Single Six).

First off, thank you all! It's great to get this type of response in less than 12 hours!

Consensus seems to be that .22LR is the best place to start off on a strictly base level. I would also like for my first firearm to have some defensive capabilities (granted a know a shotgun is ideal to a degree but I'm not looking into that) so I can see that a 9mm might also be a good first firearm.

I've fired a revolver and a semi-auto handgun previously and I'm partial to a semi-auto already. As for budget, I have no clue yet. With being new I'm not looking for the best-of-the-best cutting edge firearm but I'm not looking for the basement model either. The more I look the better of an idea I'll have.

As for my in-laws in law enforcement. They aren't just run of the mill guys (not that that's a bad thing). Former marine marksman, EMS sniper, sniper instructor. I feel very confident in the training and instruction from them. Short story time...

The first time to the range with them was a blast. If I recall correctly I was able to use a 9mm Glock, Kimber 1911 .45 ACP, Revolver (forget the caliber), .308 rifle and M1 Garand. Target shooting cardboard targets, water bottles, action figure, shaving cream cans. So much fun, hooked right away.

And I'm not ignore the brands/models recommended or the other technical jargon it's just that I'm learning so some may be lost on me at the moment. Again thanks!

Ruger markIII and a smith and Wesson 686 would be my choice. Both are well made, accurate, and will outlast you if cared for. Of course I'm not saying you should stop there. :)

My first gun was a .357 Magnum revolver, but I also bought a reloading press at the same time because I knew I could not afford to shoot using over-the-counter ammunition. I could load down for reduced recoil (which makes practice and concentration on sight picture, breathing, trigger control etc much easier to concentrate on) or load up as I wished, and at a quarter of the cost of store-bought ammo.

A good 22, however will cost you one-fifth to one-tenth the money to feed it (per round). Plus, having a decently accurate 22 will put you on the range where you will see and meet a lot of other shooters. If you demonstrate yourself to be safe, polite and interested, you will undoubtedly be invited to examine and even to shoot a variety of weapons (we LOVE to show off our favorite guns). Of course, any gun will put you on the range like that, but the 22 will put you there with less cost.

Ruger Mk III and Browning Buckmark are two examples of guns sufficiently accurate to launch your shooting career.

Good luck,

Lost Sheep

Typically, I would say whole heartedly to get a 22lr, but you act like you want to shoot now. Since there is no 22lr ammo on earth right now, maybe it would be a good time to jump straight to a 38 special revolver or 357 mag revolver. Both can shoot 38's at a reasonable expense and this ammo will be available now or very soon due to it's lower popularity than say 9mm.

I have a S&W 19-3. These can be had used for $400 - $600 based on condition. A $400 one will often shoot as well as the $600 one, but with less finish on it.

I would suggest a S&W K frame revolver:

Wikipedia -
K-Frame (medium) Models
Smith & Wesson Model 10—.38 Special. Previously the ".38 Military & Police" and ".38 Victory Model"[19]
Smith & Wesson Model 11—.38 S&W. Previously the ".38 Regular Military & Police"[21]
Smith & Wesson Model 12—.38 Special. "Airweight" (alloy frame) version of the Model 10.[19]
Smith & Wesson Model 13—.357 Magnum version of the Model 10.[21]
Smith & Wesson Model 14—.38 Special. Previously the "K-38 Masterpiece"[21]
Smith & Wesson Model 15—.38 Special. Previously the "38 Combat Masterpiece"[21]
Smith & Wesson Model 16—.32 S&W Long Caliber. Previously the "K-32 Masterpiece"[21]
Smith & Wesson Model 17—.22 Caliber. Previously the "K-22 Masterpiece"[21]
Smith & Wesson Model 18—.22 Caliber. Previously the "22 Combat Masterpiece"[21]
Smith & Wesson Model 19—.357 Magnum. Previously the "Combat Magnum"; first lightweight .357 Magnum, built at the request of Bill Jordan[19][22]
Smith & Wesson Model 53—blued steel .22 Magnum, built for .22 Remington Jet Center fire Magnum ammunition[23]
Smith & Wesson Model 64—.38 Special. Stainless steel version of the Model 10.[24]
Smith & Wesson Model 65—.357 Magnum. Stainless steel version of the Model 13[25]
Smith & Wesson Model 66—.357 Magnum. Stainless steel version of the Model 19[21]
Smith & Wesson Model 67—.38 Special. Stainless steel version of the Model 15[21]
Smith & Wesson Model 68—.38 Special version of the Model 66 (half-lug) 6" barrel[21]
Smith & Wesson Model 617—.22 Caliber. Full-lug, Stainless steel, 10-shot version of the Model 17[21]

These are generally a good hand fit and shoot well.

Last, not sure what I do to people, but the last 3 people whom I introduced to shooting ignored my advice and bought S&W M&P's or an XD9. They all cited fit to hand as the reason why.

Something to consider noxout that I did not and simply got lucky with is ammo availability. I was torn between 9mm and .40 caliber. I ended up with a .40 and good thing to. The area I live in is devoid of 9mm ammo. 22lr is also very hard to get along with .380 acp, .45acp, and most rifle rounds. The only rifle ammo I have seen is a single shipment of 7.62 and all the rest has been 2.70 winchester. Look at what is available in your area first. Otherwise it does not matter how cheap ammo is you won't be shooting because you don't have any.

Top choices...

I'd look at a new Ruger LCR in .38spl or maybe .22LR, a SP101 2.25" barrel .357magnum DA only(no spur), a S&W 686+ L frame 7rd stainless revolver, a Ruger GP100 4" barrel stainless .357magnum.
Join the NRA & take some gun safety/training classes. Get a valid CC license or permit even if you don't plan to carry, just to document your concern for safety or wanting to comply with all local-state gun laws. You may want to tote your handgun with you on rare occasions .
Know the local gun & use-of-force laws/standards. Find a local criminal defense atty or be ready to contact a good lawyer if you carry a loaded firearm with you.
Keep your firearm clean & only use factory made ammunition for defense/carry.
No reloaded ammunition or hand-loads.
Use .38spl +P for carry then you can upgrade to .357magnum.
There are several quality brands available to carry or use for home defense.
See; www.nra.org www.handgunlaw.us www.mylegalheat.com www.knifelawsonline.com (3rd ed), www.paladin-press.com www.brownells.com www.ruger.com www.gunsamerica.com www.jgsales.com www.gunzilla.us www.midwayusa.com www.galls.com www.deltapress.com www.gunvideo.com .

CF

.22 in Browning Buckmark or Ruger Mark III is a good place to start for learning the basics.

9mm in Springfield XDm, S&W M&P, Glock, to name a few plastic fantastics.

For bigger holes, .45 ACP is the route to go - in the plastic fantastics or 1911 design.

I tend to shy away from starting someone out on a 40S&W because the caliber tends to have snappy recoil. (Just my opinion.)

If your are looking to carry concealed, then a whole different set of parameters come into play.

Something to consider noxout that I did not and simply got lucky with is ammo availability. I was torn between 9mm and .40 caliber. I ended up with a .40 and good thing to. The area I live in is devoid of 9mm ammo. 22lr is also very hard to get along with .380 acp, .45acp, and most rifle rounds. The only rifle ammo I have seen is a single shipment of 7.62 and all the rest has been 2.70 winchester. Look at what is available in your area first. Otherwise it does not matter how cheap ammo is you won't be shooting because you don't have any.

I don't thing it is wise to base a buying decision on a short term shortage of ammunition when a gun is a long term or lifetime purchase.

Back