First shooting experience with my new 85UL Titanium.

andreb

After looking at my new gun for about 3 weeks sitting in the closet I decided it was time to take it out foe some practice. I stoped by the range and because it was early in the morning they had no 38 spl reloads available at the moment. They offered me some short 38's ( believe it's called 38 SW). I started shooting with it and it was as good as it gets for a light snub like mine. After 30 shots I decided to try some 158gr JHP +P I bought with the gun for defense. WOOOOWWWWWWW!!!!!!! That was my initial reaction. Maybe It's because I'm used to my Glock 25 or maybe it's because we don't have access to more powerful calibers in Brazil but the recoil was pretty strong. I can't even imagine what shooting 357's out of a lightweight snub feels like. I guess I'll have to practice a lot with hotter loads to become proficient with this little guy instead of practicing with less powerful reloads. Any thoughts? Should I keep practicing with hot loads since in very light guns it makes a huge difference or should I practice with weak reloads and save the hotter stuff for carry and protection?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Regards,

André

I think you should practice with at least heavy specials. Comes crunch time you might need more than one shot.

You might look at the fired .38spec brass from it. If it chambered the .38 S&W rounds it sounds like your chambers are pretty big. Ideally they shouldn't go in. Some guns handle them with no problems and others are loose enough to really bulge the proper sized brass.

Sam

Practice with and carry the hot .38's. I went with the 342PD over the 340 for exactly that reason. I believe that you should practice with what you carry and nobody I know practices enough with the .357 loads/titanium. (They shoot a few rounds, say "ooouch!" then drop to the .38s)! I think the ability to get multiple rounds downrange quickly and accurately is more important than the difference in loads-particularly in a snubbie where it can be argued that you are not picking up that much beyond more muzzle flash and recoil anyway. The overwhelming majority of us will never even need to draw our weapon and even fewer will need to actually use it. The .38 should be able to handle it in either case. But I think some guys just don't feel tough enough or something unless they are carrying a .357 at a minimum. ;) OK, here come da flames! :D

I dunno.....I would guess that using standard .38 Special loads for practice would result in more practice due to the fact that it is much easier on the wallet & the hands.

When I carried a .38 snub, I would practice my draw, presentation, double taps, sight acquisition, etc. with cheap 38 Special reloads and shoot premium, high powered defense loads just enough to be familiar with them. I did work hard at finding a low cost round that shot close to the same POA as the defense round though, so sight alignment would remain the same.

I'm with Kevinch, and don't see all that much value in shooting *nothing* but the "big boomers" that you intend to carry.

One reason is of course the wallet issue, and wear/tear on the gun (although with .38+P in a gun rated .357, that's not a big deal).

But another factor not being paid attention to by the "shoot only what you carry" school is that in a real life and death shooting, your body is going to act so differently, that recoil control, felt recoil, how you percieve the sound and other such factors will all be on a different *planet* from your range practice sessions.

I have some idea of how *my* body reacts to life'n'death stress, mostly from motorcycle near-crashes :D. I know the whole world will seem to slow down, emotions will go dead flat, "moral sense" will be retained, hearing will be non-existent, strength will go up, reaction times will turn into something that would scare a cat, etc. In my personal case, I know that fine motor control will be *retained*, although that's not a universal experience.

What matters is that you bring the sights on target and cleanly pull the trigger. You must also maintain visual awareness, avoiding "target fixation" or "tunnel vision" because with hearing shot, you could be open to a flanking attack by a second goblin. ALL else is way beyond "secondary".

I'm of the opinion that you should look for a second gun very similar to yours, esp. including the same type of trigger and sights, but in .22LR caliber for DIRT cheap practice.

feedback on my own Taurus Ultralite

You're right about the 158 gr Plus-P load in a lightweight snubby - that is about as stiff a load as you can fire out of one of those.

Those of us who fire semi-autos, we discuss ammo "sensitivity".....relying on what feeds/fires/ejects. In a lightweight snubby, it's ammo sensitivity again but it takes on the characteristics of recoil/point-of-impact/muzzle and gap flash. Snubbys, I find, are highly ammo-sensitive! One load makes it a sweet shooter and another punishes your hands.

My advice (and I enjoy and prefer revolvers) is also to practice with what you carry and ABOVE ALL ELSE, find the load, regardless of it's power, that you can consistently hit your target with repeated shots.

The .38 round, practically any .38 round, should stop an assault with well-placed shots. Good inexpensive quality .38 ammo can be bought for practice, as well as carry. Find the load that you shoot best and use that.

I shoot exclusively Georgia Arms ammo. My son and I have fired practically every .38 spcl, .357 mag, and .40 cal round they make and have yet to have any kind of malfunction. No, I don't work for Georgia Arms but their stuff is excellent and inexpensive and can be ordered right over the internet. (georgia-arms.com)

Don't give up on the Taurus; I think the fit/finish/reliability and accuracy of my own Taurus Ultralite first-rate. Best shooting.

Handling recoil is a learned thing just like anything else. There is a difference between the 9mm Corto and the .38Spl. I would start with light power loads and work your way up to +P. :cool:

Back