First serious casting success

ligonierbill

I picked up a Colt Lightning (the rifle, not the pistol) in 32-20 a couple months ago. Tried some rounds that do well in a Colt Official Police revolver, but they were all over the place. Slugged the bore: 0.318! OK, ordered a mold from Accurate that dropped 110 gr slugs, lubed them up (0.321 lube die, a little sloppy), and loaded them over a modest amount of IMR-4198. My LabRadar wouldn't pick them up, but should be running about 1,400. And they grouped nicely at 50 yards, even with these old eyes trying to line up those lousy sights. I need to go back and really knuckle down for a 100 yard group, but it looks promising. Now I know why I started casting.

Tom makes an awesome mold, but now that you've been infected, you'll be sliding down the rabbit hole :D

Congratulations on your success. I know I had a LOT of anxiety about touching off my first cast rounds, but mine were through a 454 Casull, so a bit of pressure difference. Once I managed that I was off to the races.

Good Job !

When we get old we can move the targets closer ...
50 yards with Old Eyes = 100 yards with Young Eyes .

At 73 , blind in one eye and glaucoma in the other ... I'm now shooting at 25 yards !!!
Gary

Back