first rifle

Brando1992

Ok so the title is a little misleading,

I have a mosin nagant, ruger 10/22 and an AR15.

None of these options really fit a target rifle, and that's what I am needing help with deciding on.

I have always been a pistol shooter, and recently started reloading 9mm. I bought the ar15 thinking it would be a good gun to sit down and benchrest and shoot groupings with, while it does that well its not ideal and I much prefer standing and letting loose on some steel at about 50 yards or less with it.

Because of reloading and all the reading I have done I have found myself wanting a rifle to try and dial in, work with reloads and just gain a better understanding of shooting rifles.

I have my 10/22 to plink around and learn fundamentals on but I am wanting a full power gun to really learn and work with at distance.

Since I don't hunt and I am just starting with rifles I don't really want to invest a huge amount of money into it.

I have been looking at a savage axis II or a Ruger American. I am more concerned with long distance shooting with it not necessarily weight reduction or shorter barrels, are there any rifles I need to look at other than the two I've mentioned in that rough price range? Also any other "new rifle shooter" advise would be great!

Thanks!

The Axis II is noted for out of the box accuracy. I think the stocks need to be better and there are economical ways to do it with a search for ideas.

The Ruger American has many good reviews.

The Howa is a good budget rifle, but I think no better than the others when considering this price range.

Another to consider is the Mossberg Patriot wood stocked. Priced around $350 at the right places.

All would be decent entry level guns that you can tinker with to learn the finer arts of tuning a gun for accuracy.

The Savage Axis II and Ruger American are entry level hunting rifles, not target rifles. A Howa 1500 is a bit higher end but still a hunting rifle.
1) What's your budget?
Most factory target rifles run well over a grand. No sights on most of 'em either. Factory anything is like buying a suit off-the-rack. OK but never quite fits.
2) What kind of target shooting?
NRA High Power short range starts at 300 yards. Goes up to 1,000. There is some kind of target shooting game for everybody. Every one of 'em has different rules. Palma Matches, for instance, uses 14 or 15 pound, single shot .223 or .308 rifles using 155 grain match bullets only. Short range in Palma is 800 yards. Oh, and all that using iron sights.
An AR can be turned into a pretty decent target rifle, but not for cheap. So can a 10/22.
A Savage F/TR in either .308 or .223(different courses of fire) has an MSRP of $1538.00 with no sights. Other Savage Target models go about $100ish higher except for their Palma rifle. That runs $600 plus more.
A Ruger Precision's MSRP is $1399.
Mind you, any heavy barreled varmint rifle will do to start. Think reloading .223, .308 or any of the swarm of 6 and 6.5mm cartridges.

weblance - that does look like a good deal but im really looking for something in 308

T. O'Heir - my budget is somewhere in the $500-600 dollar range after I've mounted a scope on it, I am looking for what would be the best 308 to start long distance shooting, most of my local ranges are only 100 yards but some go out to 500 yards and I would like to work my way up to 500 yards or more. I have my AR set up just how i want it and I would like a round that can reach out a bit farther and shoot a little flatter.

Thanks for all the input guys

Another vote for the howa m1500... The Axis and the American are great guns and will do what you need them to, but between the 3 I'll take the howa. The Savage accutrigger isn't for me and I've never been a big ruger fan.

Remington 783 in 308. A good rifle with a cheap but good enough scope from the factory.

With current rebate now running around $249 from Academy. Out of the box accurate and a good place to start at entry price point. More money will get you more but you did not mention a budget.

In that price range I would second the 783. Decent package with a very reasonable price.
I owned an Axis II in .243. It was acceptablely accurate. Barrel could not handle more than three or four shots before sending flyers all over the place. Why I got rid of it.

For target shooting I would skip tha axis and American simply due to the recoil lug designs.

A savage 11 or 10 would be a great place to start. A savage 12 may work for you also. Floating bolt head, aftermarket support is good, and you can swap the barrel quite easily should the need (or urge) arise. Model 11's go on sale for around $450 frequently and that is with a scope. Well worth the cost over the axis. Especially considering the axis ii is roughly the same price and the original axis has a sintered and otherwise poor trigger.

Remington 700 is a solid platform but will likely cost more more money in the end simply because a gunsmith usually has to get involved. It may shoot well enough out of the box to keep you entertained for a while though. I see the adl selling for about the same as the savage 11.

Howa rifles are amazing for the money. One piece bolt, sako extractor, accurate, great trigger, and they are smooth. I see several calibers selling for just north of $300 but there isn't a lot of aftermarket support. I don't think this platform lends itself to modification as readily as the savage or Remington. This rifle is likely better suited to the hunter.

Last edited:
The Ruger American is certainly target rifle worthy, maybe one of the best in a Production rifle. MOA with bulk 55 FMJs and with match ammo, under 1/2 MOA...um there are not many .223s that will do that consistently, and I have done it with 5 of them. The recoil lug design is pretty cool, and actually what lets them gets away with a cheap plastic stock and not affect accuracy.

Tikka T3s are also very good as are the Howas. Big Greens 783 is not even in the running if the word "target" is in the mix.

You listed some good options. I'd probably also consider something like the Savage Hog Hunter in .308 which should be very accurate at a price point just a little above the Axis and American.

I highly recommend the Weatherby Vanguard 2 in the cheapest configuration you can find (usually synthetic and even a youth model will do because it has the buttstock spacers to make it full size length). They are sort of no frills rifle big on fit, accuracy, and precision with an excellent trigger but cheap on the finish. They are excellent shooters. I bought my son one in .223 and the sub-MOA accuracy guarantee is no joke. Again, it is a fantastic shooter for low $$$. The finish is not bad but you cannot neglect it. I loved his so much, I have been debating getting one of my own in a bigger caliber.

Get a CZ-527 in .223 and never look back.

I have two of these a carbine and a euro varmint. The varmint will shoot 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with factory Hornady ammo. It is a classic wood stock and blue steel beautiful, accurate, reliable and strong rifle. The 223 has plenty of range and is an ideal first gun for target shoot. And the 527 has a nice set trigger. I love this gun.

Later I read you want a 308. I assume you are new generation shooter looking for nice black plastic gun that has shades of sniper/precision styling and for cheap money.

For bench shooting you need weight, a flat forearm to ride the bags and a good trigger. These are ok, from Cableas:

Savage® Arms Model 10T Tactical Bolt-Action Rifle (1:10 twist 308)

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo..._SEQ_105523380?WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU

You should remove the two studs on the forearm to ride the bag properly. I suggest you shoot off a rest and practice some real marksmanship. Not with a bipod.

Edit: I just noticed they offer this in 6.5 creedmore. That is the hottest round in this game. By hot, I mean new and soon to be popular. Longer range potential with less recoil. I know you are not me, but; I would try this one. There is no money to be saved reloading the 308 vs the 6.5

Last edited:
Back