First Rifle

Thirty_Handicap

I know this is probably an annoying question, but I am looking for input on how to select my first rifle. My purposes will be hunting (when I finally get out of Los Angeles) and high-caliber (the cartridge, not me) plinking. I'm hoping to spend around $500, and then some more on some quality optics.

Experience-wise, I'm primarily a handgunner, but I've shot shotguns and .22. My initial inclination based on brand recognition is either Winchester Model 70, or some variant of the Remington 700 VS.

Then there's the issue of caliber. If I get to go hunting, it will likely be deer. Is 30-06 or .308 good enought for that?

Finally, my grandpa is an old hunter, and I'm considering offering to purchase his old rifles. He doesn't hunt or shoot anymore, so I don't think he'd be offended by the offer. I know he's got something in 30-06, and, knowing gramps, I'd guess that it's either a Remington or Winchester. If I buy from my Grandpa in California, do we have to go through a FFL?

I'm actually 26 years old, though on reading this message I probably sound like I'm 12 :o. I'm new to the "Art of the Rifle" Forum, but if you guys are as helpful and informative as the Handgun forum, I'll be in great shape.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Paul

The good news that there are a number of rifles that can fill your need. Be warned, that you are likely to be recommended a great many different rifles and loads in this forum! There are as many opinions on what rifles are "ideal" for a given situation as there are people who shoot them.

Anyway, here is my $0.02.

The two rifles you mentioned are excellent and will be very accurate. Take a look also at the Savage 110 series of bolt action rifles. These are inexpensive and shoot very well. I can pick up a Savage 110 w/composite stock and a scope for about $350-$400 locally.

As for caliber, well, you will have many, many choices! I will highlght a couple favorites and let others choose their own:

30-06 - The 30-06 is readily available and can handle just about anything in North America. Recoil can be stout, but this is not a problem for an experienced rifleman. Perhaps the most popular hunting cartridge in North America.

.308 - Shorter than the 30-06, but nearly equal in performance, this round hits hard and is VERY accurate. Since the .308 is shorter than the 30-06, it can be had in short-action rifles which are a shade shorter and lighter (i.e., Savage model 10).

.270 - a 30-06 necked down to accept a .270 bullet. Nice all-purpose round without excessive recoil. This is my personal favorite.

Well, I hope this helps somewhat. I am sure you will get many responses to this question!

There's no such thing as annoying questions -it's the answers. ;)

Chad gave good advice & yup 30-06 or .308 will do even the biggest deer = elk or moose. .270 "might" be a bit on the light side for the bigger critters but will certainly serve you well for whitetails/mulies.

My personal fave for deer & antelope is the .243 & works very well for varmits too. An all-round, light-end caliber. & is a bit more fun than the larger calibers for target shooting (less recoil) for some.

Plenty of good inexpensive new rifles for under $500. I'm personally a Rem 700/M7 kinda guy - but that's only personal preference. Bare-bones 700'll go you around $350 & it's a great starter rifle that you can turn into a dream with a bit of work on your part.

& about your Grandpa's rifles ... might wanna easy-like slide into that discussion. Some oldsters have an attachment to their rifles that goes back longer than with their children or wives. Might feel that topic out a bit before stepping on any toes, etc.

My personal favorite was the Model 70 in 30-06, with 308 a close second. A great many to choose from though.

I always liked the way a model 70 action operated, possibly because I fired off the left side.

Savage makes a good rifle, as does Remington but when I was buying them, the Model 70 Standard Target, while a bit heavy, good for hunting too, went out the door, for a bit over $200. Alright, I'm ancient.

Actually, I believe that the 30-06, with proper bullets and shooting will handle just about anything you are likely to encounter in hunting. The 308 will do pretty much, the same thing, BUT the 06 will handle heavier bullets, and re factory loads, I believe that you can buy the 06 with a heavier bullet than can be had with the 308.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>but if you guys are as helpful and informative as the Handgun forum [/quote]

if? IF My goodness... how do I respond to that?!? ;)

My choice. It would be a Remington 700 in .308.

The reasons are as follows r.e. Remington 700. Basically because this action/rifle has been throughly explored and there are many Smiths familure with "tuneing" them. If sometime in the future you want to "accurize" you rifle this is pretty much the action to start with.

.308 - Ammo availability plain and simple. If, by some chance, in the future there is a restriction on arms/ammo the .308 will still be easy to get from NATO. Additionally, it is a very accurate cartridge that will handle all but the largest Game on the continent. And I'm not sure but the "Light Magnums" currently out would bring that list down even further.

Just my opinions.

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Agree with all of the above, but admit to being partial to the '06. It's worked for me for shooting all sorts of stuff (I'm a reloader) for some 50 years, now...

Buying guns (or being given guns) from your grandfather needs no outside asssistance. No paperwork, nuttin'. Absent real negligence, hunting-guns rarely if ever wear out.

FWIW, Art

I would recommend a Tikka Whitetail Hunter in 30-06.

The Tikka, made by Sako of Finland, shoots 1/2" 100yd groups out of the box and, has a very crisp, adjustable, trigger set by the factory at 2.5lb. It should cost less than $500. If you buy a basic Win 70 or a Remington 700 and it shoots less than 1" at 100yd, you are lucky. If you want to make sure that it will shoot sub-MOA groups you'll have to send it to one of those many gunsmiths that are familiar with the M70 and the M700 to work on it. If you want a great trigger, that will cost you extra too. Sako makes a *great* rifle and the Tikka is made to the same functional standards. Right out of the box it is an exceptional rifle.

I've also heard great things about the Savage, particularly for the price. However, the trigger is said to be poor so expect to pay for an aftermarket replacement if you care about that. Many people don't.

As others have pointed out the 30-06 will do anything you want it to do in North America. Factory loads *can* be stout but don't have to be. If you handload, you can make a 30-06 kick as little as, or less than, than a .308. Recoil is a function of bullet weight and bullet velocity. A 180gr bullet moving at 2600fps has the same felt recoil, .308 or .30-06.

The beauty of the 30-06 is its versatility, particularly if you handload. Both the .308 and the .30-06 are classics and you won't go wrong with either one but they each have subtle differences that make them preferable for some people. If you were only going to buy one rifle, though, you can't go wrong with a .30-06.

[This message has been edited by pbash (edited February 03, 2000).]

Thank you all for the input. You really are as helpful (if not more) as the Handgun forum (don't tell 'em I said so, though).

Labgrade, I appreciate the heads-up on the grandparental sensitivity issue.

Lots of good points so far. Try this one on for size. I'd see if your Grandpa would let you try out his '06, run a couple boxes through it and see how you like it. He may just cut you a real sweet deal if you really like it.

If your in the market to buy a new one then I'd have to go along with the Rem. 700 supporters. They're solid, dependable, and IMHO a bit more accurate than pbash thinks. Schmit makes a good point for the .308, ammo is cheap and plentiful. Unless your going to be chasing brown bears, it should be all the firepower you'll ever need. If deer (muley or whitetail) are the largest game in town, then I'd prefer a 25-06, which is your 30-06 necked down to a 25 caliber. I think the .243 is an excellent deer and varmint round also, I just feel the 25-06 has a bit more range. I've known guys who hunt elk with it but I feel it's a little light for that.

Don't short yourself on the optics. Whatever rifle you choose can only be as good as the optics on top of it. I just love Leupold scopes, but they can cost as much as your rifle.

Again, I'd first try out Grandpa's. Take him out to the range with you. It'll be a blast for the both of you.

:cool:

------------------
bullet placement is gun control

Back