First Rifle/Carbine advice?

docglock

Inactive
I'm thinking of taking on the project of building a rifle from parts. I see ads for lowerreceivers and kits in Shotgun News.

I'm considering an AR-15 or HK G-3 Clone. However, I reload .45, .40 and 9mm. Is there anything in one of these calibers that I should check out.

Also, how much will I have to invest in besides parts and time. I'd rather not buy a bunch of new tools.

Thanks!

Dont waste your money on a G-3 clone. The alluminum reciever ones are abosule garbage. The hesse arms ones are at least steel but Ive heard people say they arent made well. The one that has a possibility of being good is from special weapons but they keep delaying the release.

If you want an HK buy a real HK. An Ar-15 will be easier to build, cheaper, and is just a great damn rifle. My AR-15 was my first gun and I built it myself except the upper because most places sell the upper built because it has to be headspaced and to do it yourself will add a couple hundred more for tools. I plan to build my next one completly mainly for fun but also it wil be nice to have the tools.

The AR-15 would probably be the easier of the two. No welding or cutting (of the old stuff) involved. If you buy a completely assembled upper (headspaced and all), the lower is snap. I could be wrong, but I don't believe the lower requires any special tools (check with ar15.com though).

The US made HK-type receivers I've seen aren't worthy of the name. If you want a .308 parts rifle, go with the $200 STG-58 parts kit on a $450 DSA (or Imbel) receiver.

[This message has been edited by Destructo6 (edited April 30, 1999).]

Go AR. It's easier to get magazines for one. Secondly, you can convert an AR lower to shoot pistol caliber if you get a dedicated upper and put in a magazine well filler block (removable). This makes it a more versatile "weapons system."

Assembling an AR lower really doesn't require any special tools. It's the upper which does (barrel nut wrench, barrel or receiver block, roll pin punches) but most of the time, you can get the factory to assemble what you want for free or for a nominal fee (provided all the parts are provided by them).

Back