First Production Colt Agent

Boo586

Happy New Year!

There is a first production Colt Agent for sale in the classifieds section of my newspaper here in Indianapolis. The add says excellent condition. The owner was originally asking $450 and is now down to $375 after running the add for a couple of months. I am not a huge Colt fan, but I know that this gun is not very common and could be a shootable collector's piece.

To give you an idea of the market here a brand new SS Ruger GP-100 with a 4" barrel goes for about $390 to $410. I know it is hard to compare the new market to the collector's market, but I thought it might help. What price would you start bargaining at if the condition is about 95%? Thanks for the help.

Boo586

It depends on how much you want it.

My Agent was the old model with the exposed ejector rod. The Agent is like a Detective Special with an aluminum frame. I thought it was the same as the Cobra which is a Dick Special with alum frame, but I also have heard that the Agent's grip frame is shorter than either Cobra or DS but haven't compared the two guns.

I would think $375 would be the upper limit on value of a 95% Agent.

BigG,

Thanks for the reply. You are right about the agent. The agent is the alloy vesion of the Dect. Special and having a shorter grip frame than the Cobra. The Dect. Spec. is suppose to weigh in at about 21 or 22 oz., the Cobra weighs about 15 oz. and the Agent weighs in at 14oz.

I really like the idea of a 14 oz 38 special that hold 6 rounds. I really want the gun, but I am not going to pay $375 for it. $300 might be another story though or am I being unrealistic?

Boo586

Hi Boo586,

I think that's ($300) what I would give, too.

But as I said, it depends on how much you want it. :) People pay a premium for things they "gotta have."

BTW, my Agent was very accurate with 158 grain standard velocity 38 Specials.

The Original Agent is a nifty little gun - -

IF you use it pretty much "as is." This means leaving the short--REALLY short wooden stocks on it and just adding a Tyler T-Grip or a Pachmayr grip adapter as filler behind trigger guard.

Reason I say this is, the above comments are true: Agent is ONLY a Cobra with shorter socks. Shortly after they brought out the Agent, they began making all of that frame revolver with equal (short) grip frame, and varying length only by the type stocks with which they were sold. Put bigger stocks on the Agent, you have same as a Cobra, and you can usually find a Cobra for less money than an Agent.

I really like my Agent (first year of production,) but it is, shall we say, a bit VIGOROUS when shooting the 158 gr. LSWCHP +P loads in it. If you get it, don't make a habit of shooting +P loads in it. The light alloy frame will loosen up fairly rapidly. Practice with target wadcutters or, at most, standard velocity 158 LRN or 130 FMJ ball. I've shot only enough +P to know where it hits, our to 25 yards.

An early Agent is too nice, and too scarce, a piece to shake it to pieces.

I agree, the $425 price is a bit steep. Really, the $375 seems high, to me, BUT: They aren't making that piece any more. If I wanted it, I'd get it. even at $375.

Nearest thing to the Agent would be an pre-ban S&W J-frame airweight, specifically the Model 37. Only five shots, but a bit smaller. AND, they made a lot more of 'em, so prices on the used gun market are fairly reasonable.

Best regards,
Johnny

I`ve seen 2nd generation D/S` at gunshows for $325-350.

I`ve been offered that much for mine. I`d love to have an Agent but I haven`t seen any. It`s worth what you`re willing to pay. If $300 is your bottom line, make the offer. You can either walk or try again.

Greeting's All,

The old, original Colt Agent model with the exposed
ejector rod, can and usually does fetch a premium
price if it is in pristine (LNIB) condition. If the owner
know's what he has; you may not be able to get it
for $300.00.:eek: After all, $350.00 still would not
be a bad deal; if you really want it.:)

These little 14 oz. gem's makes for a very nice CCW
piece.:cool: I owned a mint one back in 1973, and
let it get away in a trade.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

The AGENT's do bring slightly more of a premium than same error colbra's or dick's. Over the summer I picked up a 1970 AGENT with factory hammer shroud in 100% condition for $350.00. unfortionally no box or papers though.

I put eagle ss checkerd grips on it and love it. Only problem is the finish is in such perfect condtion I hate to carry it.
The shop still has its brother AGENT (there was 2) that was carried a little and shot even less, That I would like to get to carry and keep the mint one tucked away.
I think between $300.00 and $375.00 is a fair price depending on condition.

Back