First post. Need opinions.

Cesar

Inactive
Great forum! Had a question or two.

I am considering putting a surefire weapon mounted light on my Kimber 1911. I want the 6V version since it's for home S/D. I'd like to know from users with this setup the pros and cons.

Also, which version is better, the 610R (grip screw mounted switch) or the 610 (velcro mounted switch). The guy at surefire seemed to think the velcro was better.

And how does the grip screw version's switch mount? Thanks

just remember that when you turn that light on it becomes a target and it's likely to be right in front of one of YOUR vital areas.

An old police trick is to hold the light in your weak hand up high and to the side as far as possible and a foot or two in front of your body. That allows you to see, keeps your body in the dark and does not make a tarket near one of your vital areas. Also if shooting starts you can easily drop or throw the light at that point. If the light is on your gun... I wouldn't when the intended target is a potentially armed human. For vermin and predator hunting (4 legged kind) it is a good set up.

Jody,
Thanks for the reply. I've heard of the weak hand light technique but don't like shooting one handed although I do practice for it. So far all I've heard are negative comments about having a light on a weapon. The only really positive comments I've heard are from surefire themselves and of course in gun magazines. I've even heard that Ayoob keeps a stainless Beretta 92 with a surefire mounted light for his home defense gun. Could be just a rumor.

Anyone know anything about the switches? Velcro or grip screw types?

I haven't used the Sure Fire, but have two of the Insight Technologies M3 Tac lights for my Glocks.

These have a very user friendly switch mounted right on the back of the light. It allows both momentary and steady on/off operation without shifting your grip.

They really make a difference in low light/no light situations, IMO.

Mine's an HK UTL on my USP45. I prefer the Insight Technologies lights over the surefire. They are lighter, and don't stick out as far in front of the barrel. The light output is every bit as bright, and maybe even a bit more "flood" than "spot". Another big bonus... they cost less!!! I don't actually know if they make one for a Kimber, but it's worth a look.

My little ole' opinion is that a tactical light is a GREAT thing on a house gun, but like Jody says, gotta be careful!

I prefer using my tactical light only to illuminate the target, not to locate the target. If you just woke up to glass breaking at 3:00am, you've got the best night vision of the day. You just want to make sure your acquired target is not your roommate who forgot his keys, or the drunk down the street who mistook your house for his, or your kid just dropped his glass of water, etc... That is the point at which I would use my UTL. Any other use makes you AND your gun a target.

Cesar,
I have the SureFire 6V for my Beretta and it is nice. I'm not too concerned about becoming visible. It that light hits anyone in the eyes, after their eyes are adjusted to the dark, they will be blinded and seeing spots...just enough time for me to get out, get a clean shot, whatever. Like a dummy, I put the light on in my bedroom against the mirror after my eyes adjusted to the light, and all I saw was spots, AND it hurt a little too. I think you'll be happy if you get one. You should also include it into your training. They are pricey though.

Mike

Back