First post and questions

Rusty.it

Hello, i'm a newby here, i write from Italy so excuse my english!
So, going to the question, i does have a springfield trapdoor carbine made by harrington and richardson in the far 1973, exactely a century after the first '73 trapdoor come out from Springfield arsenal, i know that H&R isn't on business from many years, and i can't find information about my carbine, the only thing i see is a 8 rifle barrel instead the 3 of the original, i shoot the .45-55-405 bp cartrige hand loaded.
Anyone load the same? and what kind of filler between powder and bullet?
(i use cornflour)
The bullet is the lee hollow base 405 grains, i melt with 30-1 alloy (is too soft?) but results isn't so good, any advice?

Rusty

welcome to the forum!

And I won't comment on your English if you don't comment on mine :rolleyes:
And I'm from the US....;)

That bullet has proven to be a good shooter for me and others that have tried it. The alloy is perfect.

What lube are you using? I recommend SPG or similar home brew lube. Are you trickling the powder into the cases (using a drop tube?). How about the crimp - are you using a crimp on the case or not? Single shots don't need a crimp and usually do better without one if the bullet is seated out to contact the lands when the cartridge is chambered. If not using a magnum primer - try that too.

I wouldn't use a filler - I'd recommend using enough ffg to allow for about 1/8" of compression for that bullet.

From what I've read, that rifle is a good shooter so I think it will perform for you once the right combination is found.

Hope that helps some. :)

Back