First pair of prescription glasses

stagpanther

Well I finally scored my first pair at my local eyeglasses store--well, not exactly local. I told the manager I needed something specifically for shooting handguns with--he said he was a shooter himself and had done glasses for other shooters. He recommended trifocals--with the mid-range sighting done on the narrow band in the middle. I told him I was concerned about the point of aim shifting when moving my focus from the mid to far range--he said don't worry about it. I just got home and sure enough when shifting from the mid to far range focals the point of aim jumps significantly--I would estimate at least at foot at 20 yds or so. Is this unavoidable--meaning I really can't expect the POA to stay the same when shifting from one focal band to another?

MY shooting glasses have the right eye ground to focus on the front sight - a long intermediate in optician-talk - and the left eye at distance.

Bobbing your head around looking for the right segment of a trifocal is an exercise in frustration.

I shoot steel challenge and normally wear progressive lenses. For shooting I have a pair of single prescription glasses focused at the front sight distance. I don't need an absolutely clear target. Might be different if I were doing bullseye shooting. BTW, the lenses are photochromic; the transmittance changes from 20% (bright sun) to 80% (indoor range); they basically work well in all lighting conditions

i have an off-topic question, i apologize. i was thinking about this last week because my stepdad, who has terrible eyesiht, wnts me to help him build his first AR. i have seemingly perfect vision, so it's hard for me to understand what it's like. will someone with poor sight have difficulty seeing through a scope? i would think that they only need to have proper focus on the scope lens itself, right? the picture you see is two-dimensional and only presented at the distance of the lens, i assume. so seeing the picture shouldn't be an issue as long as you can see the scope clearly, am i correct on this thinking? he doesn't want to do any presicion or long-range shooting, so i was thinking a magnified dot would be best. i figure it'd be a perfect time t ask this question since i have a bunch of glasses wearers in the room. thanks

MY shooting glasses have the right eye ground to focus on the front sight - a long intermediate in optician-talk - and the left eye at distance.

Bobbing your head around looking for the right segment of a trifocal is an exercise in frustration.
That seems to make sense--do you aim with both eyes open or alternate squinting with just one eye open (in my case the POA changes when doing this)?

i have an off-topic question, i apologize. i was thinking about this last week because my stepdad, who has terrible eyesiht, wnts me to help him build his first AR. i have seemingly perfect vision, so it's hard for me to understand what it's like. will someone with poor sight have difficulty seeing through a scope? i would think that they only need to have proper focus on the scope lens itself, right? the picture you see is two-dimensional and only presented at the distance of the lens, i assume. so seeing the picture shouldn't be an issue as long as you can see the scope clearly, am i correct on this thinking? he doesn't want to do any presicion or long-range shooting, so i was thinking a magnified dot would be best. i figure it'd be a perfect time t ask this question since i have a bunch of glasses wearers in the room. thanks
Depends on the nature of his eyesight problem would be my guess. In my case, my problem is nearsightedness--in other words close to mid-range focusing. For me sighting through a scope is no problem since it has it's own magnification. Dots can present problems for me depending upon flare and resolution since it's projected light--I've never had much luck with them--even for close in shooting. For me, a good scope with a good range of eye relief and parrallax adjustment fully compensates for my eyesight deficiencies. My BIG problem is sighting handguns and irons since this involves focusing front post and target at the same time.

I tend to squint the off eye when actually shooting. I know the experts say to shoot with both eyes open but I have been squinting for about 60 years now and am not likely to change my habits.
Both eyes open while moving across the IDPA bay acquiring the next target.

I tend to squint the off eye when actually shooting. I know the experts say to shoot with both eyes open but I have been squinting for about 60 years now and am not likely to change my habits.
Both eyes open while moving across the IDPA bay acquiring the next target.
My problem is that whenever I shift between 1 or two eyes--or from one focal area on the glasses to another--the POA of the target shifts significantly. Obviously I need to come up with a viable solution and use it consistently since that will affect how I adjust all my sights.

The "computer grind" of no line trifocals work perfectly for me because they don't have the narrow band you mention but more of a wasp-waist pattern.
progressive-lens-design.jpg

Back