First outing with my new Navy model!

ZVP

I spent yesterday afternoon degreasing the shipping oil from the revolver. Piettia did a good job covering everything with the sticky goop!
I replaced it with some good oil and special airgun spring moly grease that wont migrate.
Adding these lubes slicked the somewhat dry feeling action up.
Today I took it to the club for testing.
I charged it with my favorite 22gr Propellent load, filler to mark loaded cylinders,alubed patch and a Horniday swaged ball. I capped it withRemington #11 pinched caps and took my first shots!
The balls landed 1/4" low and left with a sight picture at the bottom of the 10spot. Next a cylinder full of kentucky windaged balls landed 5 in the white circle with one at the 1/4" spot.
I continued shooting with about 25 shots holding at the original spot and a ragged 3"x4" hole developed. The range was 7 yards and my "new gun shakes" accounted for the large spread but I felt good about the way the revolver shot!

Handling and shooting the gun showed that the Piettia sharp heel of the grip had to GO!
I'll trace that to a former cut done on a Piettia .44 Brasser. Probably a bit less aggressively though.
I'm also going to open the hammer sight slot for old eyes and also use Mike V's trick of filling the safety pin slot with JB Weld and smoothing it up as to not grab caps or fragments.
I had 3 fragments land underthe hammer slot though it didn't cause trouble.
I want reliability.
The revolver will go in a Triple K Hickock Holster worn Cross draw with my Piettia Police worn Strong side.
Ought to be a fun rig!
This revolver just might become a "pet"!
ZVP

Congratulations!
My '51 is loaded with 6, hammer on the pin, hanging next to my coat and will go to work with me in a shoulder holster under my coat tomorrow morning.
There is no problem with a 7 1/2" Colt under my arm where I work.

44Dave
A Navy iin a sholder holster, how cool! Got mine in a crossdraw.
I rounded the famous Piettia pointy heel off this afternoon. WOW, what an improvement!just a little radius on the brass and the wood made the grip sooo comfortable!
Total of 1/2 hr invested.
Man I like this revolver!
ZVP

Back