notlikeyou

Which would you go with and why?

Used Browning Citori 12g 28inch barrels

OR

New CZ Redhead Deluxe 12g 28inch barrels

Difference in price is negligible.

I would be using it for Trap and Skeet.

Last edited:
i own four brownings ,a citori upland special 12ga 2-3/4 with 24" tubed barrels, a citori hunter 12ga 3"mag with 26" tubed barrels, a BT-100 with 34" ported tubed barrel with adjustable comb and a 20ga 3"mag BSS sporter with 28" non tubed barrels.and have not had one lick of trouble after shooting many thousands of shells and if i do i know i can get them serviced localey(a browning service and repair station is 46 miles away). i would rather buy a used browning than a new cz shotgun. now you know i,m a browning fan. eastbank.

The Browning..................................

If you have to be told "why", you wouldn't understand

If you understand "why", you don't need to be told. :p

Definitely the Browning. It will never lose a dime in value and will be a better gun now and 10,000 rounds from now.

10,000 rounds, the Browning Citori should not need a tune up till long after 150,000 rounds.
CZ's are still a unknown quantity as to how long they will last. The Brownings and the Charles Daly's (early ones) are made by B.C. Miroku a well known established company known for quality.

No question - the Browning. A known entity from a quality standpoint; with a modicum of care will last many generations. The Japanese build a consistent and reliable gun

+1 on the Browning comments...there are a lot of models of the Citori these days...but they all share one very big thing / a really solid barrel to receiver connection / and 250,000 plus shell reliability....neither of which any CZ can make a claim to ...now, or in the future, in my opinion....

Of the choices provided, I'll go with the Browning.

I couldn't bring myself to spend close to a grand (or more) for a shotgun. So, I've only owned one O/U and it was a Russian Baikal IZH-27.

Since it cost $350, I wasn't expecting much other than an "entry level" O/U, but I found much more. :) Standard features were things like a chrome-lined bore, cast on or off stock (depending on how you ordered it), recoil pad, eject or extract option and some very nice Russian walnut on the stock. :cool:

Bowhunter57

I too would recommend the Citori. For both trap and skeet gun fit will make or break your success. If the CZ fits you a lot better, that might sway my opinion.

Whichever one you choose make sure it fits, or modify it until it does. You will see more X's on your scorecard with a well fitted gun.

Gun fit is not a "nice to have" thing in the clay target sports, it's a requirement.

In addition to lower scores a poorly fitted gun will really beat you up too, esp in the 12 gauge. Trap and skeet loads are relatively light, but the sheer volume takes it toll.

I'm a Beretta guy myself. CZ makes great guns, but from all my shooting friends in the bird field, Browning is the thing to have between the two.

I agree about the fit, however. If you get a used one "for a steal", putting a little money into it would be worthwhile thing.

i shoot clay games at 5 clubs and have let other shooters shoot a round with my brownings and they all have hit more birds than with their shotguns,the BT-100 really shines on the trap range. to see a novice trap shooters face light up after seeing them hit 19-20 out of 25 with the BT when they were only hitting 12-14 out of 25 with their own gun is worth it to me. for me a morgan pad or a adjustable comb makes the hits come easier. prarice,pratice,gun fit and more pratice. eastbank.

Browning because they are made by BC Miruko who also made my 2 Charles Daly skeet guns, I also like my SKB 505.

While the CZ's don't match the build quality of a Browning, I bought a Redhead Deluxe about two months ago and for the reduced investment I'm impressed with the gun. I had a mid-bead and a good recoil pad added as I use for it for busting clays most of all. It fits me well and I'm liking the trap scores.

Choke tubes?

If you plan on trap AND skeet screw in chokes are really a requirement. If the Citori is a fixed choke gun, that would be a deal killer for me.

Trap and skeet are pretty close to opposites with regard to choke. Shooting skeet with a full choke will either make you a very good shot, or a very frustrated shooter. The latter is more likely for a newer shooter.

Trap chokes tend to run tight like Imp. mod or full. Skeet chokes are much more open Either skeet specific or Imp. Cylinder.

Same target, very different games.

If you have to send it to Briley then factor in the extra $400 for the machine work and chokes. Probably better off finding the right gun to begin with.

Back