First left-handed bolt rifle?

David Roberson

I've been wondering who was the first to manufacture a bolt-action rifle with the bolt on the left side. I'm guessing it was Mauser, but anyone who knows for sure (maker and model) will get a big "thank you" for passing the info along.

First large scale production of left handed bolt action rifles which I'm aware of is the Savage 110. Remington did not follow until fourteen years later in 1973.

Anybody know about Sako?

I don't know if you mean only mass production. A number of custom makers, like Sedgley, converted standard rifles, especially the Model 1903, to left handed actions in the 1920's. Some of these looked and worked fine; others were monstrosities, like the bolt handle extended around under the rifle so it could be worked with the left hand.

Jim

I believe the first left-handed bolt action was produced by Mathieu Arms Co. located in Oakland, California in about 1950. Yes, this was a custom made action but previously everything else had been a conversion. Eventually, the Mathieu action was used by Weatherby for their left-handed rifles until the Mark V was introduced in 1958.

Then, in 1963 both the Savage 110CL and the Remington 700BDL went into production as left-handed versions of existing bolt action rifles. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace

------------------
After today, its all historical

[This message has been edited by Steven Mace (edited July 17, 2000).]

Back