First impressions of my new tac-light.

Pond James Pond

The Mastiff P10 from Amazon for £27 and a few ££ extra for delivery.

This is a solidly made, no frills tac-light with a spring-loaded weaver rail retention system.

It is made from solid aluminium, with a powerful CREE LED that gives about a 70 degree arc of clear illumination, running from the common CR123A lithium battery.

I originally bought it as a light to go under the rail of my crossbow so target shooting after dark would be possible. Indeed, in the pitch darkness of the Estonian forest I could see a lot of detail through my crossbow 4x32 scope out to about 60yds.

I removed it, to see how it would fit on my SP-01.

It fits well, and with the rear snug up against the trigger guard, the front lens and its castellated crown are flush with the muzzle and slide.

It has a side to side toggle with a positive engagement and a off-on-off-on feature that allows you to go from constant to strobe.

The build, power and convenience, for the price, is impressive. When some taclights cost in excess of £€$100, this is great value and if you're not LE, I don't see why this would not absolutely meet your HD needs. The quick attachment/release system also means you could just whack it on to your EDC should you need to investigate a bump in the night.

The only issues I have right now are that there is a tiny, little wobble on the rail, although I can't imagine any way it could fall off and that the switch is a little far for my trigger finger (to be fair, I have shortish fingers), meaning either adjusting momentarily to switch on the light, or using the support hand.

Either way, it seems as good as the Nextorch I reviewed about 3 yrs ago.

I will try shooting with it at some point, too, to see if firing brings up any flaws.

Last edited:
Back