First IDPA

Shadi Khalil

Hello all,

I'm shooting in my first IDPA this Saturday and have no idea what to expect. I have little to no info other than what I need and what time to be there. He mentioned something about having to qualifying but didn't really elaborate. So what should someone who has never shot in an IDPA competition expect the first time out?

AH!!!! You're gonna love it.:)

Start out going slow. Speed will come with experience.

What he was talking about is a Classifier match. Read the rule book here: http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf That will tell you everything you want to know about the classifier.

You'll quickly learn which ones to listen to, which ones to ignore.

Again, have fun. That's what it's all about.

Dave

Enjoy the shoot. The important thing is to handle the firearm safely. Take your time, and mind your muzzle.

Don't worry about the classifier. They don't mean anything until you've shot enough of them to give you a "class designation" and I think that's like 6 or so.

Let your range officer know that you are a new shooter, and they'll help you out.

As Nowhere Man says, it's about having fun. I would add that it's about having fun, safely!

He may not be talking about a classifier and just means you'll have to go through a safety qualification briefing. Most of the clubs around here do it and they basically just go over the rules, how to handle the gun safely, what kind of instruction and range instructions you'll receive and possibly have you demonstrate safe gun handling. Its no big deal and if that is what they are doing, you'll feel much more comfortable after it as well.

If not, like others said, just listen closely to the instructions you'll receive and tell them you're new and they'll be happy to help walk you through things and you'll have a fun and safe time.

If you are unsure of anything, ask. Remember, there are no dumb questions, just dumb answers. The ROs and your fellow shooters will help you in anyway they can. Be safe and enjoy the sport.

I'm pretty new to IDPA too. After getting some of the nerves out on the first or second stage, you'll have a total blast.

A few things I've learned is that if you have a plan, it will completely vacate your mind once the buzzer goes off.

Be cool. Take your time. You cant miss fast enough to win.

That said, just relax and try to have fun. Getting better comes with time and experience.

If you are going to shoot the Classifier for your first IDPA match you will need 90-rds of ammunition, 3 mags, holster (hopefully IDPA-approved), and mag holders-either a double mag holder or 2 single mag holders. Good luck.

good for u

Congrats on becoming a comp shooter and taking a step deeper into the gun owners world.

Safety is paramount. The safety rules you are accustomed to in you normal range environment may not be those of IDPA and the range of the match.
Listen up, be patient and flexible/teachable.

Enjoy the match and look upon it as a learning/training excercise, which it is.

I'm new also, and am having a great time. Should have been doing it for years!
If I can ever learn to shoot, move and think all in the same match, I might get better!!!!!!!!!!

Back