First IDPA club Match

rdtompki

New to handguns (1000 rounds), but I thought I would give IDPA a try with a local club. The turnout was smaller than usual, about 20 folks. My goals: safety, no DQ, hit the targets and don't worry about time. The folks, all of whom were club members, were very friendly; I had a great time and am definitely joining the club for the monthly IDPA and steel matches.

My accuracy was fine except for one stage: engage three targets on the right with strong hand, 3 targets on the left with weak hand and 3 center targets normal grip, head shots. You were limited to 9 rounds. I wasn't any better than -2 strong hand, 0 weak hand and 0 on the head shots. I really need to practice strong hand shooting.

Now I've got to remove the mag disconnect. I did use a single round magazine to top off during make ready and the same magazine "drop" the striker.

Now to figure out how to get my wife into IDPA; I know she'll do steel with our 22's, but I don't know if she'll go for the whole holster thing.

Glad you had a good time. Safety aside, enjoying the day is first and foremost.

(I believe you were the gentleman I suggested trying some steel shooting competitions in your area, a couple weeks ago??)

Safety. No DQ. Hit your targets. That was a good strategy. Continue with it. In time, the speed will come along for the ride and take care of itself.

You will find that a lot of IDPA stages have one-hand shooting scenarios (strong or support hand). A share of my range practice is one-handed shooting. When I see a "support hand only" stage, I get a little smile on my face. I do better than most on those stages.

1st IDPA match

"My goals: safety, no DQ, hit the targets and don't worry about time."

That's a good set of priorities for anybody beginning in IDPA or USPSA.

Speed will come with practice.

The IDPA classifier is a great test of basic skills and looking at that will give you a good idea about what kind of skills you need to practice in the future.

I've been looking at Classifier videos on Youtube. I'm looking forward to giving it a try at whatever speed I find comfortable. I did ge a 180 degree warning during a mag change. My mag changes are fine, but I was turned somewhat to the left shooting around over when I ran the gun dry. I'll have to modified somewhat my approach to changes.

Don't crowd cover and you will not get in the habit of bringing the gun across your body to reload. Also, if I have the choice of shooting left barricade or right barricade first as I go through the stage, I start so that I reload on the right barricade, which helps keep the gun downrange. But mostly, just don't get right up against cover. Most of it is too flimsy to serve as a support anyhow.

Thanks for the tip. The cover situation was a bit unusual. they use large cloth covered panels, but it's too windy, generally, to set up the panels vertically. The panel was only about 4 feet high even though we were to treat it as vertical cover. I think this contributed to getting too close, but my main issue was lack of awareness.

Back