First hunt in six years!

pctechdude

So due to work the last six years, I was unable to go hunting during deer gun week here in Ohio.

Yesterday, I arrived at our family farm in central Ohio and was in the stand around 6:50am. I had scouted the day before, seeing evidence of rubs on the sticks, but outside of this nothing much.

Behind our property is train tracks that separates our property and someone else's parcel of land. Around 8am the other folks across the tracks fired a shot. But it must of been a miss.

To this point I hadn't seen or heard a thing. Well around 9:08, I heard twigs breaking. I look over across the tracks and directly in front of me is walking a nice 8 point. He walks down the hill, stops on the tracks and looked right at me. However he proceeds up the hill and curves around me about 30 yards away.

He stops between the woods and the corn field. Stands broadside giving me a perfect shot. I pick up my winchester 1300 20 gauge, and lay down a sight on him. Still standing there he has no idea. I squeezed the trigger, and watch his front end go down, rear legs kick up. He takes off running through our field, after 20 yards he slows and every step those front shoulders start dipping down. He gets about 40 yards and his front end crumpled and the hunt is over.

Felt so good to be out, and getting one relatively quick after such a hiatus. Ahh the rush!

ae946fa13d9ca600191bd91b5721372a.jpg

a095bf4a720e362729614c6a0ac28ab8.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I used the standard winchester 20 gauge 2 3/4" slugs. 3/4oz 1600 fps.

The bullet/slug can be seen in the first picture still in the shoulder. It's stuck between the hide and shoulder. I didn't dig it out till I got it all cleaned, and didn't take a picture of it actually :-(

Am I to understand you only get 1 week for gun hunting in Ohio? No wonder you found it hard to get out. Congrats on a nice 8 pointer..Hope you can keep this 1 week open from now on.

Thank you guys, felt amazing to get back out! I'm hoping to be able to keep this week open from now on!!! Yes and no, we have shotgun/straight walled carbine week. Then muzzleloader which is only 4 days. then a two day shotgun/straight walled carbine weekend. Archery season is September 24-february 5.

The rules here are kind of dumb. Like we cannot use any rifle cartridges that have a shoulder during gun week in the state. However during summer months, however if you have farm land and get a nuisance permit, you can hunt after dark, and use a high powered rifle.

Back