First Hunt in SC

GunBuyerWPB

Inactive
Hi All,

So I'm going on this hunt in South Carolina in September. Never hunted there before but have hunted in Florida, mostly hogs. I do have a good deal of shooting experience @500+ yards, though I don't think that will come into play at all. See where I am at. Anyone have any advice?

The specifics are this, there are ground and tree blinds on site. I am bringing a Remington 700 in 7mm Rem mag, was planning on 150gr. Fusion rounds. Aside from that I am open to suggestions.

Look forward to the responses and thank you in advance.

Enjoy and good luck !!

I am bringing a Remington 700 in 7mm Rem mag, was planning on 150gr.
WOW, what are you hunting? Understand that it has been a number of years since I hunted in SC and never encountered that range or anything close to that caliber. If you are comfortable with that, so be it and wishing you a great hunt. ..... :)

One of the biggest problems I run into, in the south, is the preservation of the meat.

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!

Yea - That caliber is a bit much for that part of that country.
Also - you prob won't be shooting at 500 yards either

I hunted NC for a number of years and I used a .270, even that was a bit much at times. One thing I did love was the long-long gun seasons!!

Last edited:
Oh Yeah, Right, that minor detail.

It is for whitetails in south Carolina. So y'all are suggesting going down in grains like to 120gr to 139gr?

What part of SC are you going to be in? I hunt in Ga. within a few miles of the SC line. A 7 mag is not overkill by any means. More often than not, I hunt with a 7 WSM. At times a 7 RUM. 150 gr ballistic silvertip in both. There are plenty of places in my area I can shoot well over 500 yds. The folks hollering about a 7Rem mag being overkill are being a bit dramatic. The 7 Rem mag is a very popular cartridge in these parts.

Last edited:
I'm in SC and it all depends on the property. You could be on a field, power line or pasture that allows for long shots. You could just as easily be in the woods with less than 50 yds. I personally have made a few 300+ yd. shots on deer in my own pasture. A lot of guys here use the 7 mag. We tease them about compensating for something but the cartridge isn't overkill.

I got clear cuts on the club that a 7 Mag isn't going to help you on. I got places that are so thick and dense you might as well just bring a knife. A 7mm Mag isn't overkill, ain't ever heard of anything being too dead. That said, a 7mm08 or .243 will do just as good of a job in most instances. SC has a diverse landscape depending on where you are from the coast to the Mountain units. Pine forests, agricultural fields, swamps, steep mountain (foothills to the western readers), carolina bays etc.

I think instead of a rifle, you should worry more about whether or not your Bug Tamer has any holes, your Thermacell has fuel and pads and if you don't know what either is, figuring out how to get them. Oh and don't forget your snake-boots, seems to be a bumper crop of those reptiles with baby rattles on their tails this year.

Thanks everyone

See now, this is what I am talking about. People in the know giving advice. I am bringing a 7mm Rem Mag, cause that is what I have and set for hunting. most of my other rifles are tactical setups.

Since reading this thread and not knowing the terrain, I am bringing along a Ruger Super Redhawk in .480 Ruger. Probably covered all my basis there.

Salty, thanks for the heads up on the thermacell and snake boots. Set that up before I leave.

I appreciate all the advice y'all are sending my way.

I take my XDM in .40 sometimes because it's just easy to walk with, going to get me a small .22 to tote as a sidearm (we got a few spots with bears and hornery big bo hogs). You don't need that hogleg unless you plan on hunting with it only. My goodness, you're toting a rifle, nothing's going to get you with a rifle. Heck I walk through the swamps and bays to get to stands in the dark without a light. I've bumped pigs, bears, coyotes, foxes and other critters. The only thing that has ever gotten it's back up on me was a coon and it ran off after I popped it with a stick.

As I said, don't hump in extra weight unless it is water and stuff to keep the bugs at bay. Bugs are bad now, skeeters are going to get worse too with all the rain we've had. Ditches and low areas are full of water and these things are mean. In fact if it keeps up like this, I won't hunt a swamp until after we get a frost, deer'll be in the fields and high ground.

Salty dog, I just got back from Pawley's Island. Nice place. Not "shabby" by any means.

Glad you enjoyed your stay. We're a laid back community with a bit of upscale to us though you wouldn't know it. You bump into very well to do people who's daily attire is shorts, T's and flip flops. "Arrogantly Shabby"

Not many places you can live where you can fish offshore in the AM and be in a deer stand in the afternoon.

I forgot to mention that my favorite all-purpose rifle for SC is a 7-08 although I've used a .50 cal muzzle loader, 30-06 and .270. The advice about the Thermacell is no joke. I don't hunt until the first week in November, partly because of the bugs, mostly because that's the peak of the rut in my neighborhood.

Wouldn't you know it.

This weekend at the fairgrounds is a hunting/outdoor expo. I will be taking all your advice to heart when I go. Thermacell is definitely on the list, though we got some pterodactyl looking mosquitoes down here in FL. I already have a camel back to take.

You guys think Realtree is the way to go, or will woodland camo do it? I know the area would be a good thing to know, but I don't know what it is like so I can say. Kinda like a blind hunting adventure really. Probably would make a great show. Take random hunters to undisclosed locations and see how they do. Be cool to not tell them what they are after until they get there. Someone shows up to a rock chuck hunt with a Ruger Model 1 in .416 Rigby. Grizzly hunt guy comes with a single shot .22 WMR. Guess for safety purposes you would have to tell them to bring at least a...

Realtree will be fine but you'll kill more in Mossy Oak:D . Just get something that breaks up your outline, early season the deer don't look up much, two weeks in they are scanning those permanent stands from 200yds away in a thicket.

I usually hunt in green pants and a orange coat with limbs painted on it. The best deer hunters I know wear blue jeans and chekered flannel shirts.

As far as you rounds, 7mag is a little over kill for my tastes. I'm usually a .270, .308, .243 person. Your pistol is just fine. I use a 629 .44mag on deer and hogs in SC. Depending on the land, if you have them, snake chaps. Not so much for the snakes, mainly for the briars! As far as camo goes, my dad still wears 25+ year old woodland gear and sees deer all the time. Might want to bring a shotgun as well. Depending on game zone you're hunting, people will be running dogs. Give it a shot, its a blast.

Back