well as self defense purposes.

I have been doing most of my research on
Sig Saur, and the Glock 17 and 40.
Though the scope of my search has been
more on name recognition rather then
any real knowledge of what to look for.

Any and all comments are welcome,

Lee

As for a first time weapon purchase, I generally advise (when asked) that a novice purchase a double action .38 Special revolver or a .357 Magnum revolver & shoot .38s through it until they are proficient.
With the budget you have allocated for yourself, perhaps also a .22 revolver. Use the .22 until you are confident and capable then switch over to the .38. This will keep you from picking up bad habits such as flinching etc. Also enroll in some classroom and hands on training. Most ranges have some sort of training cirriculium. This, I believe will do you much better than trying to get the latest fad and not knowing how to use it. Remember, it's not how many you miss that counts, it's how many you hit. :)

Try them all and see how they fit in your hand. Rent them, shoot them. Given the only choices available above, I don't think you can go wrong with the Glock 17.

I know your looking at a AUTO, but the best
gun for the money for defense or recreation
is the Ruger GP-100 in .357, either fixed or
adjustable sights, 4 inch barrel, and stainless , its a gun that will last forever
and will cover any situation that might arise
the Glock 17 or 19 used are a good buy and
are usually cost $350 used, or factory rebuilds for $ 389. if this is the first gun
your buying I'd go with the revolver, a model
65 Smith & Wesson, police trade would cost
about $200. as everyone will tell you, get
a gun YOUR comfortable with and shoot, shoot,
shoot. with your budget you have alot of
choices.

I know some people will look down on me for advocating a "wimp" gun or a little toy when you can buy a .44 Maggie or a .454, or a hi-cap 9.

But start with a .22 and learn to shoot it. A revolver is a good idea, an auto is OK. I recommend buying a good quality used gun over a cheap new gun for the same price.

.22 ammo is cheap. If you buy a bigger gun, you will hesitate before spending the bucks to learn to shoot it well. After you punch enough holes that are made up of little holes with the .22, graduate yourself to a bigger revolver, a 9mm or even a .44. But work up. You didn't start driving by taking the wheel of a Kenilworth semi or entering the NASCAR 500.

Jim

I would also recommend a .22 revolver. However since you stated one of the uses would be self defense my first choice would be a medium frame .357 Mag revolver with a four inch barrel. As stated before, start out with light .38 Special loads and slowly work your way up to the heavy Magnum stuff. Take your time and don't try to rush or you may develope bad habits.
There are plenty of good used revolvers out there. Go for one of these and use the rest of the money for ammo and, if possible, formal training.
The important thing to remember is learn the basic fundamentals of shooting first. You can always graduate to another gun later.

Welcome Grenadier.

I'd also suggest the revolver as the better firearm to be your first gun. For $800.00, you could get two and have all bases covered--a .22 to learn and a larger caliber (.357) for home security/defence. If you go this way, you might be better off staying with one maker--Ruger?

Have fun!

------------------
RKBA!

Go with the Glock 17. It is easy to shoot and maintain. It also is cheap to buy ammo for so that you can afford to shoot it. It was my first gun and I love to still shoot it.

mark

Greetings; all the post promoting the .22 cal
revolver's is great; however I would suggest
the Ruger Mark II KMK-512, if you intend on
purchasing a center fire autoloader later on.
These weapons are durable, made of stainless
steel construction, very accurate with the
fine adjustable sights, and very easy to
maintain. Then I would follow your own idea's
towards the Sig-Sauer line of center fire autoloader's. To steal a phrase from Ford
Motor Company; "At Sig the QUALITY goes in
before the NAME goes on".

------------------
Ala Dan

I certainly don't mean to flame or incite anybody here, but have you guys looked at the price of a .22 revolver? A new Smith and Wesson 617 is going to wipe out a $500.00 bill big time. Finding a used .22 revolver in any condition other than "Gee it sucks to have such a fine old gun look and shoot like that" is just a bit tougher than finding the Holy Grail or a Whitehouse intern that hasn't been groped. .22's a great guns, in fact most of my favorites are of the .22 variety, but .22 revolvers just don't seem to be the economical choice they were in days gone by. For most of the savy, a decent .22 at a decent price isn't unobtainable, but for the newcomers it's a whole different ballgame. Most of these newcomers are going to go down to the local store, ask to see a .22 revolver, and fall over at the $400 to $600 sticker. Yeah, I know somebody it East Jesus Junction is selling a pristine K-22 masterpiece for $99.00 shipped to your local FFL, but the new people aren't going to be well recieved ( most of the time) by the local FFL when they ask about doing the transfer.

SA .22s are a bit more affordable, but they are still way above the price of a decent .22 semi-auto such as the Ruger 22/45.

I constantly see the recommendation of a .22 revolver as a first gun, then see price as the biggest factor, followed by reduced recoil. The recoil part is 100% correct, but the price part isn't.

Sorry to rant here, and I hope no feathers were ruffled, but the sad fact is .22 revolvers are priced beyond the entry level these days.

------------------
Want to feel your age?Check it out. http://web.superb.net/boy/age1.html

I agree that a .22 is a great gun, my personal opinion goes toward the Browning Buckmark. When I bought my first gun it was a .40. Soon afterward I wound up buying the buckmark, so I could actually go and shoot it and not go bankrupt. If you are looking at spending $700, you can pick up a basic buckmark for about $200, and still have $500 left to spend on a good auto. Thats when it gets tricky, there are so many good ones to choose from, find what fits you the best, see what feels good in your hand. I like Rugers as first guns because they are inexpensive and tough. Find one you really like and then ask for opinions here, there will be fans of whichever one you pick, (and lots of detractors, my feelings are still hurt from being told my favorite handgun was only good for a boat anchor, but you can't make everybody happy :) )
And welcome to TFL.

don't foll around and buy a good quality da revolver in .357 mag.
I highly recomend you smith and wesson mod.65 or 66.
You can use this revolver for plinking,target shooting and home protection or to carry concealed.
The advantages are: you can begin shooting mid range .38 spl for training/plinking,then go for .38 spl factory ammo,then .38 spl +p and then if you tolerated go for full charge .357 magnum loadings for defense althoug .38 spl +p are enough for personal defense.

bye.
many the mexican kid.

------------------

Grenadier,
You are are on the right track.
Glock 22, but if you shoot the glock 35 you will want one.
Then get some real help in the training part,ok?
Stay safe.

Grenwich ,

Is the pistol for carry/concealed
or home defense gun only? Two
calibers that are painful to shoot
are the .40cal & .357magnum. Go
with a .38special , 9mm or .45acp
instead. Great guns are the Glocks,
Kahrs and Smith & Wesson.

------------------
"No Tailgating!"

Status