First Gun-what else to get?

Kalinka63

Inactive
Greetings! I’ve been a member here since 2013, and finally ‘pulled the trigger’: took Maryland class, waiting for my HQL and permit, and ordered a Walther PPS M2!

I want to see what else I should get while I am waiting to pick up the pistol. I will use it for home self-defense (at least now I am not applying for a concealed carry in my state, although I am also waiting for my Utah CCW). Right now I have, or have ordered

-range bag
-mechanics gloves
-ear protection
-eye protection
-dry caps to practice loading
-gun cleaning kit
-gun bore snake
-a couple of ammo cases
-speed loader
-paper targets
-small gun safe

I have taken the NRA Basic Pistol class in 2013, and have been to gun ranges a few times in the last few years so I do have some experience, but plan on practicing a bit in the beginning.

Am I missing anything?

Are you shooting with gloves on? If so, do you have enough room in the trigger guard for a gloved finger?

You'll probably find the changes that you want to make will come as you get everything. I don't use bore snakes as I've never seen a need for one. A good gun cleaning kit will have everything you need except for some different types of cleaning solvents.

Kalinka63, another welcome to the ranks of gun owners! As Spats McGee said above, looks like you have the basics.

Two little things: 1) The cleaning kit likely includes cleaner and oil; I just use CLP (as in Clean-Lube-Protect; SafariLand brand is easy to find).
2) You've been to the range so you probably know this but it’s something I always tell new shooters- wear a brimmed hat. There’s nothing as disconcerting as hot brass down your collar or - worse yet - behind your shooting glasses. I’m assuming you’re shooting a semi-auto; you can skip the hat w revolvers!

Great to have you with us!

Welcome out of the closet! :D

I have a PPS M1. Love the thing!

Other things i would get.

Holster, for when you decide to get your CCP.
Good gun belt! DeSantis makes a value line belt that it quite good.
If you have access to old blueprints, they make great target backers.
Staplegun. Can be had from dollar store to hang targets. You'll be surprised how many people will ask to borrow it!

Welcome to the fold and congratulations on buying a Walther PPS.

My first semi-auto CCW was a PSS40. I carried revolvers OWB for decades and wanted the IWB option for the PPS. I was undecided about how to carry the pistol so I bought a Remora holster (#6ART) made with the sticky material to experiment.

The Remora allowed me to reposition the rig around my waistline to find the best carry position for me considering my torso and waist size. It also allowed me to experiment with cant and cross draw possibilities.

I still use the Remora for long road trips but prefer open-top clip-on leather holsters for EDC. Remora included one of their universal mag pouches with the holster and I still use it for EDC.

When I go to the outdoor range I use 6" paper plates, 3X5 cards, 3" Post-its, and 1.5"X2" neon Post-its for targets at 7 yards. Some of the drills I use can be found here... https://pistol-training.com/drills

I like the smell of Hoppe's #9 in my gun room. Enjoy your PPS!!!!!

Almost forgot. Here is a valuable article a new PPS owner needs... https://www.waltherforums.com/threads/walther-pps-observations.8904/

Last edited:
Welcome!

I personally would ditch the gloves. The might make shooting a smaller gun a little more pleasant, but I doubt you'd be wearing them all the time.

More than likely your grip with gloves on will be different than without. That has been my experience.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestions, vocabulary lessons(!) and general advice. It’s great to be a part of this community-and I liked the reminder about an extra set of ear and eye protection for my friends who generally only believe in the 1st Amendment.

Regarding the Utah CCW: I did check several sources. Utah requires a non-resident to have a CCW from their home state IF such state has reciprocity with Utah. Since the People’s State of Maryland does not recognize the Utah CCW, I don’t need to have a Maryland CCW to have the Utah CCW (and be allowed to carry in 30+ states).

Welcome to the forum and to gun ownership. I agree with statements above about gloves, You don't need them. Your cleaning kit will have a brush that should clean better then the bore snake. For a quick cleaning I will use my bore snakes. The only thing I really question is buying a small safe. All safes end up being to small. Please post a range report when you get a chance.

And...

^^^^^ and then more ammo. Buy a box of ammo from as many manufacturers as you can afford. Find the loads that your gun like best.
Pete

No matter how much ammo you have, you need to buy more!

Congrats. And have fun, whether you want to or not!

--Wag--

Personally, I wouldn't have a need for the gloves and if I have a cleaning kit, then the snake is superfluous. I would add several extra magazines of the kind legal where you live.

Firearm insurance: all other insurances may pay up if found innocent in a firearms related judgement. But only firearms insurance will provide a lawyer from the moment it all starts. I use US Law Shield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming you have a safe of some sort, you might want to find out if your homeowner's policy covers firearms. If not, get a rider that does. The cops are not going to look for your stolen weapon.

Back