first gun, first AR build, lots of questions

Friedmoose

Inactive
A couple weeks back we went to the range for my little brothers birthday. He hadnt ever shot a real gun before and was pretty stoked. We had a blast and long story short I got him a 22 for Christmas. Now I want to get a gun for me. I was looking at 2 different rifles, a KelTec SU-16c and a Ruger AR556. After thinking it over I came to the decision that I should build an AR that way Im not dumping a ton of money at once.
My questions are:
1. What caliber?
To my knowledge there is a 556, 308, and a 9mm version on the AR. Which should i build? I want something that has some kick, but wont throw my lil brothers shoulder out (16yr, 6', 100lb, borderline frail). We have shot a 22, 7mm, 12 gauge, and a 9mm pistol. The 7mm was a bit much for him.
2. What are some good brands to look for? To stay away from?
I know Im gonna have to let go of one of my legs, but I dont want to give up both of them. I dont need a competition grade rifle or be able to run it over with my car, but I dont want a piece of crap either. Im not trying to build a 1k gun, I would say around 700 would be my cut off (atleast to get it shooting, not the bells amd whistles).
3. What level of building would be cheaper?
Should i get a complete upper and lower and slap them together? Or should I get a shell and the-CENSORED- get the guts for it.
4. What all do I need?
I want to have a 20" barrel for the 556 or 308, or a short one for the 9mm. How short should I go for a 9mm? What length gas system should I get for either? What else do I need to know that would be caliber/length specific?

This gun will just be used to plink around at the range and to drop anybody who decides to break in (atleast until i get a pistol). Thanks in advance, I appreciate any and all advice.

1. What caliber?

223/556. Its the most common and cheapest. Given your $700 budget you would have more trouble with the others.

2. What are some good brands to look for? To stay away from?

as the other poster said, go PSA. You can get a top quality rifle for $500-$700. Also you need to add the cost of magazines, ammo, optics, etc.

3. What level of building would be cheaper?

I just bought my first gun. Its a PSA and I bought a rifle kit and lower from PSA. It cost me $500 total for a gun that has all the specs of the colt/BCM guns. I have to build the lower but not the upper. I was told by countless people that the lower is easy to build and the upper is more challenging. My brother has built both and said its not hard to build the upper but you might need some special tools and it can take a lot longer. The lower can be built with normal tools and can be built in 30 mins.

4. What all do I need?

You need an Upper and lower. If you bought a kit from PSA they have one of $430, plus you would need a lower receiver and that would be it - total $490:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-stainless-mid-length-1-7-freedom-rifle-kit.html

Lower receiver - http://palmettostatearmory.com/catalog/product/view/id/10445/

Also, dont forget magazines.

If you decide you just want an upper and lower, make sure the upper has a BCG and Charging Handle or make sure to buy those when you order.

FYI - I am very new to the AR so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Wow, yea if you live right there it should be a no brainer. Save on shipping...although you will have to pay taxes so I guess it evens out either way.

I'll echo the suggestion of Palmetto State Armory. My AR15 is a combination of a PSA Classic Complete Lower and a PSA Premium M4 Upper. Ran me around $580 when I bought it and all I had to do was pop the pins and put the two together.

Now, if you're really set on a 20" barrel, you might have a harder time staying under your $700 budget with PSA if you just want to pop pins (that's me, call me lazy!) Don't think they have any in stock at the moment as just the upper. Honestly, unless you REALLY need a 20" barrel because you want a precision rifle, I'd go with a 16" barrel.

If'n I had PSA in driving distance.........
I'd have to buy a bigger gun safe. My check would never last a pay period.
PSA will make you happy

for your first and your budget, stick with .223/5.56. 300Blk is also in your budget, but you don't seem like your a reloader yet, so shoot some .223 for now. Its a very fun caliber and is very accurate and reliable. I like PSA for lowers and I also like www.masdefense.com for barrels and stuff on a budget.

In your neck of the woods, PSA is the best case scenario for a first time AR owner.

Check their website for the "Daily Deals" section. Many awesome deals to be found if you are patient.

See a few things on thier site that peeked my interest, gonna check them out sat or sun.
I have a question about the lower pistol style receiver. It has the buffer tube out the back with no stock. If i wanted to convert it later on with a longer barrel, would i be able to put a stock on it? Does the stock attach to the buffer tube, or is it a part of the receiver?

I did considerable research before buying my first AR and I went with CMMG. At the time they were one of a limited number of domestic brands with nitrided barrels and that was one of the major factors that led me to select their product. I just purchased one of their 22lr uppers. I've not shot it as I ran out of time at the range yesterday(very disappointing), but it passed visual inspection.

If your right down the road from PSA that is probably a better idea.

I wouldn't recommend building one if it is your first firearm. I don't think the mechanical requirements are all that difficult, but if you make any mistakes it may not be clear to you if you are not familiar with how firearms function. Just my opinion.

"If i wanted to convert it later on with a longer barrel, would i be able to put a stock on it? Does the stock attach to the buffer tube, or is it a part of the receiver?"

Simply unscrew the "pistol" buffer tube and replace it with a stock kit.

Back