First groundhog of the season.

tatters

I posted this on a couple of other forums, so if it is a repeat.............. I'm just over excited.

I got my first groundhog of the year tonight using a Remington 597 .22 lr, a 4x scope and Quick Shok ammo. Off hand at 50-60 yards. She crossed the road and stood up to look around. Wrong move. Shot her in the chest and put her down hard, put another one in her, she was done. She hangs on the fence.

This is the reason I am starting before the beans are planted this year......
I drove by an old barn where I have permission to hunt 'hogs, and what do you 'spose was in the yard.... that's right, a nice fat groundhog. I drove into the yard, and he kept eating. Bad news.... all I had was a KelTec P-32 with me. I shot at him anyway, missed, and went home. I have houses fairly close by, so I'll go back with my .410 or Remingtom 597. They have the floor of this barn torn to pieces. He doesn't seem too concerned with vehicles, but I have to get a good angle on him, lest a stray bullet...... well, a lot of houses are around.

So far, so good!

My 10/22 prefers the QuikShock, for group size. I've only popped one rock squirrel with it, and I was surprised at the size of the exit wound. Seems like a pretty effective bullet.

Have fun,

Art

Please, sir, may I shoot another?

I found the little devil at the barn I have been watching, and got him with my Marlin 25mn .22 mag at about 30 yards.

I had a good angle toward an open field or two just in case I missed. I didn't, and he never knew what hit him. I finished him with a shot to the head with the P-32 I missed him with the first time I saw him.

That's 2!

Now for the bad news... they are doing some bank work along both ditches I hunt near. Maybe when the beans come up, I may find a new crop of critters.

Back