First experience with Inline

OK, I didn't shoot it, but a student brought one to the muzzle loading class. He fired a few round but after the third round, his Rem 209 primer didn't ignite his Pyrodex powder. We pulled the plug, cleaned it and it still wouldn't fire. We then sprinkled some 2F powder down the chamber and then it went boom!

Everytime he used only Pyrodex, he had trouble. When he went with holy black, no problem. We suggested he get hotter 209 primers and try finding holy black. :D

probably needs to clean the breech plugs flash channel out with the proper sized drill bit. If a 209 primer doesnt set of pyrodex, that sucker is clogged!

Something like that won't make any difference as to which powder is used. Standard percussion caps set off Pyrodex just fine. The only ignition problem I've had with Pyrodex was with my 63 Sharps with it's two turns in the firing channel. It still fired every time but it was like shooting a badly timed flintlock.

Rem #10's never had an issue lighting P or RS for me in my ROA or my Lyman rifle through about 2 1/2 lbs of it. Certainly even a weak 209 has much more oomph.

i can't imagine a 209 primer not firing a well maintained inline gun loaded with Pyrodex. It's a breech plug problem. Three of my inline guns use #11 caps. They fire Pyrodex every time.

Rather than using normal 209 primers, I always had good luck using 777 Primers. They seem to be a little hotter.

777 primers are actually the coldest primers you can get. They are a "specialty" primer thats cooler and helps reduce crud ring with t7/pyrodex.

Back