First Deer

pkevinb

I got my first deer last Saturday. I haven't hunted in 25 years and decided to get my license this year. I wanted to get out for small game but every time I had the chance the weather was bad.

I got a ground blind and used satellite maps to find what I thought were good places to set up and the first two times out I saw deer but one was behind heavy brush and the other were doe's the day before doe came in.

I got out set the blind up and settled in around 5:30 and around 8:00 am out came an 8 point. I couldn't see the points at first because it head was down but when it came up and I knew he was legal I took the shot. I thought I missed the deer because I was shaking so bad and sat there for a few minutes and then thought I better go and check to see just in case I hit him. The deer jumped and I thought it ran off but I walked over and there he was. He jumped and went about 20 feet and was down.

Then came the part I didn't quite think through. I watched a video on YouTube on how to field dress the deer and I did pretty good but my brother had to come out and help me finish. Thank goodness he was available to help drag it out because I wouldn't have been able to do it myself.

I learned a few things. Deer just don't seem to know you are there in a blind and a lot of trigger time makes the shooting automatic. I also learned that I need a way to drag the deer out on my own and I need to practice shooting off hand and from the position I will be seated inside the blind. I also found that all of the deer I saw were between 50 and 75 yds. away so I need to practice shooting at closer distances. I'm pretty happy with my shot placement for how badly I was shaking. It was just in front and a little high of the right shoulder but it went down quickly so I was happy.

I also learned that there must be quite a few people out there that can't shoot straight because I kept hearing multiple shots from the same area/person. Now I can't wait for next year

Congrats, first deer is always a big day in the life of the sportsman. May you have many more successful deer hunting years! Enjoy the steaks, roasts and burgers!

Congratulations!

I went out today in Moshannon State Forest near Bennezette. Was surprised at the number of hunters out today. Not quite as bad as a typical opening day, but busy none the less.
Thinking weather had a major role.
Heard a couple of shots near first light, but i saw no deer all day.

I think I saw more hunters out here in western PA today than on opening day. My brother was out but didn't see anything.

Thanks musicmatty. The few times I went out before I just went out in the woods and sat and got cold. This time I did my homework and it paid off. I can still hardly believe it.

Last edited:
Congrats! Well done.

For a stable shooting platform from a ground blind, consider shooting sticks. Tripods are the most stable, but bipods or even monopods can be very useful.

"THIS TIME I DID MY HOMEWORK AND IT PAID OFF"

Spending as much time "pre-season" in your area (once you've determined it is a good area) is always a good thing, and if possible, throughout the year (what's known as the long season where I live...). If, and when, you find an area you think will pay off, try to determine a pattern of how the wind acts there, too. How the wind blows is most always a big factor in big game hunting success (IMO).

There is a Yogi Berra "ism" that goes something like this: "You can observe a lot by just watching."

Gott love Yogi...

CONGRATS on the hunting success. Spend as much time as you can getting to intimately know your hunting area.

Back