First deer with my new reloads!

Colten519

This past weekend I finally got to take my new 257 weatherby mag out and test my new reloads. Here are the results.

Yeah, I have seen that kind of wound several times from 257 Weatherby's in the past.

Might recommend using Barnes X bullets in the future.

Holy Cats.
I have never seen a Barnes give that kind of entry before. I would expect an exit about 1/2 that size.
A 100 gr in the 257 Weatherby can be REALLY fast. Over 3500 FPS Muzzle Velocity is not out of the question.
The splash effect of that bullet hitting a rib must have caused that large hole. That would be my best guess.
How far away was that deer?
Did you get an exit?

That's kind of what I'm thinking. It must have opened rapidly upon hitting the ribs. The exit was fairly small maybe 3/8" if not a little less. It was about 120 yards away quartering away from me. There we chunks of rib bones everywhere. The exit was right at the base of the front of the neck. Luckily missed all the meat. She was a little more broadside but my wife sitting next to me said she turned right as I shot thus the extreme angle of the shot.

I shoot a 25-06 reloaded above published loadings and have seen similar terminal 100 gr bullet performance. Big holes makes for easier finding. And they taste just fine at the supper table. Nice deer. Perfect size for the freezer. Good shooting Colten519. :)

Wow, that round did some devastation! Do you have any larger pics? The ones posted go to a website for download.

Back