First day at the range with a glock 26

Coyote

Inactive
Well, first time shooting and I have a few questions.

I just got a new Glock 26. Prior to this the only shooting experience I have had has been with a hour or two at the range 8 years ago, and renting a Glock 27 and putting 50 rounds through it about two weeks ago.

So I printed out some targets, and took the glock to the range and put 100 rounds through it. (no failures)

I started out with one of the big gunstore targets and started out at about 25 feet. I figure I put about 30 rounds through before I got an idea of where the shots were going. Switched to the 8-1/2 X 11 paper targets with some NRA circle targets from the rec.guns faq site for the remaining 70 rounds.

What kind of accuracy should I be expecting/aiming for, especially with a smaller gun like the 26? What I was doing was shooting 10 rounds (1 mag) then pulling and switching the targets.

At 25 feet I could usually place all the rounds on the paper. I was shooting low for a while until I started really paying attention to the trigger pull and doing some dry fires between magazines. My best set of 10 was 7 shots inside the 7 ring, two out, and one off the paper on a B-4 target (but at 25 feet instead of 20 yards).

Also, I have some question about sight picture.

With both eyes open, when I focus on the front sight, I see double on the target, and double on the rear sight. I have to pretty much close one eye in order to get a good view of the sights.

Any suggestions, comments, or derisive laughter at the quality of my marksmanship would be appreciated.

-Pat

[This message has been edited by Coyote (edited November 19, 1999).]

You have a good gun and all it takes is quality practice and you will soon see big improvements. If you can, find yourself a shooting partner, mentor or coach. Be sure you know which eye is dominant and if you wear corrective lenses, talk to your optometrist. Some people have prisms in their lenses to correct for the way their eyes are “aimed” so to speak, and for them using both eyes can be a problem.

I haven’t shot any ten shot groups with my G27, but I typically manage to place 5 rounds inside of three inches at 25 yards. Your G26 should be capable of 3-4 inch groups at 25 yards with good ammo. Most shooters can not shoot as well as your Glock can, so finding out how accurate your pistol really is might be tough unless you have a Ransom Rest or know a shooter who can really perform.

A realistic goal would be to place all ten rounds on an 8 inch pie plate at 25 yards day in and day out. Consistency is much more important than the occasional one ragged hole group. Just my 2 cents worth.

I hope you enjoy your pistol, and don’t pay any attention to those who criticize your ability. Any shooter worth their salt will offer you encouragement and help, and never ridicule.

It isn't a sin to shoot with only one eye open.

Don't try to shoot small groups at any distance, until you can shoot small groups at the 25 feet your at now. At 25 feet it isn't unrealistic to expect 10 rounds touching, about the size of a silver dollar. Ideally, the group will be more or less round in shape.

If your really just starting you might even want to move up to 10 feet and try to shoot groups with all rounds touching. It's a lot less discouraging. When you can do it, then you start trying to reduce the times and increase the distance, not simultaniously.

Something my father told me from a young age has always proven to be of benefit whether I may be on the job, on the range or in the grocery store. It basically goes like this: "take care of your ownd business and the rest will take care of itself. Don't worry about what others may think". When everyone else is shooting at 25 yards, don't be afraid to move that target up to the seven yard mark. Success builds confidence. Start at seven and gradually move the ten ring back. From what I have read, you are more than proficient enough to defend yourself.

The Glock is a fine weapon. Learn and pratice trigger discipline and you will be well served. Keep it clean but don't be afraid to rack that slide back with gusto. Learn to assemble and disassemble it blindfolded----literally and stay with it. Hold on to the 26, the times may be coming where they are hard to get. Ignore the gun rags and find a mentor as someone else hs aptly suggested earlier.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

Move on up to 5 to 7 yards, as most real gunfights are even closer.
I think the 25 yard mark got started with match distances.
I have a Glock27 and it shoots wonderful at this range.
Also try the Pearce 2+ grip/clip additions.
I thought they looked a little ugly until I tried them and believe me they work great.

Guys - shooting targets that are in your face isnt a good excercise of your shooting skills. Go ahead and do some - but you need to also stretch your shooting reach out as far as you can.
Here is what you need to do: At each point, 3, 5, 7, 10, 15, 20, 25, etc... or in smaller entervals... Draw and fire 2 shots. Keep practicing untill you can keep all your shots in the 10 ring at each point. Once you can hit 10 ring shots or better at the 25, you can then work on your speed. Once you begin your shooting excercises you will find that your speed and precision are getting better.
I want you to be just as fast at the 25 yard line as you are at the 7. So - load up your magazines, holster your weapons and step up to the line... You got some practice to do. If its under 50 yards, the range should be meaningless to you - It's in your world and you own it. Now SHOOT IT!

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Hey, have I mentioned my new book? It is called:
MEN ARE FROM MARS and WOMEN JUST NEED TO DEAL WITH IT!

I'm a devotee of S&W 3rd generation 9mm's (especially my treasured 915) but I gave the Glock 26 a try for its comparative supposed concealability. Of course, it's entirely subjective, but I was not happy. Much too thick, long, and chunky to be really concealable---it's too big to be a small gun and too small to be a big one. I also had trouble handling its recoil enough to assure accuracy, due to its short grip. The lack of an external safety and its soft, short trigger pull also caused me concern in case I ever had to present it quickly, under a pressure situation. I'm not exactly knocking it; I'm just saying it's obviously an "acquired taste", whereas anyone can quickly learn to handle a S&W 915! No offense intended to you Glock fanatics!

Thanks for the advice guys.

FYI, second day out, took my girlfriend with. I managed to get about 6 inch groups at 30 feet. (getting better). Two or three misfeeds, but only when my girlfriend was shooting, so I'm pretty sure it was limp-wristing.

Also, being the kind of person who doesn't trust anything that I can't take apart and put back together again, I did a full disassembly and polished the triger mechanism and the feed ramp. Trigger pull is much nicer now.

-Pat

Back