First CZ. First impressions on my new P-o1 9mm

Just got my first CZ. A P-01.

I also have an HK USP Compact 40, An HK P2000sk 40 and a Kimber compact stainless 1911 45acp.

I must say that i really like the point, grip, balance of the weapon as I find the lower profile slide to be a asset as far a muzzle flip and second shot target acquisition.

I was however fairly disappointed on the overall QC of the piece was lacking. Rough finish, interior surfaces not finessed at all... Why they don't polycoat the inside of the frame, grind down scratches made during assembly I will never understand. An HK or SIG does not cost that much more and there weapon's finish is almost always superb. I now see why there is a large aftermarket business offering polishing and lockwork upgrades.:eek:

I will shoot it till it's broken in and then get a better trigger and lightened DA and SA pull.

Am I just being too picky...? It's a good design but the execution is lacking.

BTW.... Is there a loaded chamber indicator on the P-01?

Given you have the pistol in your hand, whether it has a loaded chamber indicator or not would hopefully be pretty obvious. That or check the manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No LCI - the PCR version has an LCI, but the P-01 relies on the Mark One/Mod One brain housing group for safety. :)
That trigger will smooth out over time - mine was smooooooth as glass.
I never really worried about internal tool marks if it didn't affect performance. Nice to have, but not necessary at all.
Congrats on your new CZ!

I've had 3-4 CZ's; a couple of 75B's and a 75SA (now my son's), and all of them were excellent pistols, and all of them had rougher than usual (for the grade of firearm) interior machining.

I thought it might be because of the military origins of the 75-the machining needed to be 'good enough' to reliably work, but there was no benefit in the type of fit and finish a civilian arm gets? Just a speculation.

Larry

PCR and Rami here. Inside finish is lacking but that doesn't bother me at all. They both shoot just fine, thank you and feel and ergs are tops! The only gun that comes close in feel and ergs is my Mod 2 9mm 4". Seriously. I've had +60 handguns and the PCR and Rami will never be sold/traded.

You can be as picky as you want to be! It is your money and you should be picky.

The P01 is my latest CZ and I would say typical in every sense. I may very well try a short reset trigger kit from Cajun Gun Works as I am interested in what kind of a difference that makes.

CZ's used to be much cheaper than they are now which kind of justified the rougher interior which has no effect on the function of the gun. Now they seem to have taken the HK approach of charging 200 more for the same gun to market themselves as higher end.

I for one am not bothered by the rough interior, nor do I think an aluminum frame needs the protective coating on its interior.

I was less bothered by the rough interior when the pistols were $500-$600. Locally near me they have been going for $700. At that price I am more bothered.

CZ’s are more in demand, and like anything else as demand goes up usually the price follows. The cost of a product often has very little to do with the price it sells for. In business the best case scenario is make a product that’s relatively inexpensive to produce, but is a good quality product that creates a demand and consequently increases in value in the marketplace, thus creating very good profits. I got lucky about four years ago and picked up my CZ75B SA for $300.00 in a private sale. It’s the best semi auto I have ever had and will stay with me for the rest of my life, regardless of finish.

CZ’s are more in demand, and like anything else as demand goes up usually the price follows. The cost of a product often has very little to do with the price it sells for. In business the best case scenario is make a product that’s relatively inexpensive to produce, but is a good quality product that creates a demand and consequently increases in value in the marketplace, thus creating very good profits. I got lucky about four years ago and picked up my CZ75B SA for $300.00 in a private sale. It’s the best semi auto I have ever had and will stay with me for the rest of my life, regardless of finish.

I understand that. My comment was that for myself the current prices aren’t something I’m willing to pay. I have no doubt the pistols will continue to sell and CZ has a dedicated fan base.

What Sig are you buying for the price of 650 that I can get P01s for?

A P226 is what around 1100 bucks, a 229 is close in size, can one even find those any more or did Sig kill it? The PVD finish Sig uses isn't known for being all that great.

My 75 is superior to the 226 and so is the 97 compared to the P220.

I didn’t say I was personally buying new SIGs for $650. I will say I would personally buy a used SIG for right around $700 (and because I live in New England that’s not hard for me to find) than I would spend that same money on a new CZ. SIG only uses the PVD finish on the Legion models ironically enough, and I agree it isn’t great. What they call their Nitron finish, however, is very durable.

I’ve owned CZ 75s, multiple of them. I’ve owned SIG P226s, multiple of them. I personally prefer the latter. I’ve been fairly careful on this thread to not make blanket statements saying one is or isn’t undeniably better than the other and to clarify that I am speaking for myself. I do this frankly because I know we have some very enthusiastic CZ fans that seemingly only show up to contribute to threads that relate to CZs. I’m not trying to put down something others enjoy.

I like your mention of the low profile slide assisting recoil. Most make the claim it's the "bore axis" which is the measure from trigger to top of slide for which CZ is one of the highest.

I like your mention of the low profile slide assisting recoil. Most make the claim it's the "bore axis" which is the measure from trigger to top of slide for which CZ is one of the highest.
You need to look up the definition of bore axis. The bore axis of a firearm is the longitudinal axis through the geometric center of the gun barrel.

Doh. I don't know why I wrote top of the slide. Mid bore to finger.

Fact remains the CZ is the almost the exact "bore axis" height of the highest of them all, Sig.

The frame makes up most of the top heavy portion of the CZ where a slide makes up most on others, which is the moving part.

Bore axis has nothing to do with it. It's the profile of the slide that does like the OP said. Kudos to him. Beats most CZ experts on the point.

I think the reason for the softer recoil and less muzzle flip is not only dependent on weight and weight distribution on any pistol, but also on its positioning of your hand/wrist in relation to the bore axis. In other words what boils down to the rotational axis of a pistol as a whole. I think in general this is where a CZ’s design is well thought out. And like most things, it’s also subjective to everyone’s perception of recoil, not to mention differences in ammunition. As a hand loader I can attest to huge differences in recoil depending on the load.

Just got my first CZ. A P-01.

I also have an HK USP Compact 40, An HK P2000sk 40 and a Kimber compact stainless 1911 45acp.

I must say that i really like the point, grip, balance of the weapon as I find the lower profile slide to be a asset as far a muzzle flip and second shot target acquisition.

I was however fairly disappointed on the overall QC of the piece was lacking. Rough finish, interior surfaces not finessed at all... Why they don't polycoat the inside of the frame, grind down scratches made during assembly I will never understand. An HK or SIG does not cost that much more and there weapon's finish is almost always superb. I now see why there is a large aftermarket business offering polishing and lockwork upgrades.:eek:

I will shoot it till it's broken in and then get a better trigger and lightened DA and SA pull.

Am I just being too picky...? It's a good design but the execution is lacking.

BTW.... Is there a loaded chamber indicator on the P-01?
Until you get into CZ custom shop stuff, CZ is designed to function, not look pretty. If it does not negatively impact mechanical function, they will not pretty it up just for cosmetics sake. The heavy trigger pull is also intentional. Angus sells springs to change that.

Back