First collectable.

Bingo

G'day. It looks like I might be getting my first 'old' gun. It is an Enfield falling block .303, with a couple of dates from the late 1800s. The sale includes a Modern .22lr bolt action. The owner wants $50.00 and the transfer costs will be about $100.00
The .303 is in poor condition. Some surface rust, the stock has holes and somebody began to cut off the fore grip. The action opens but the trigger wont release the firing pin.
It has been suggested that I free up the workings and re-barrel to another caliber. I think it might be a project that I could tinker with from time to time.
IT might take 4-6 weeks before I can pick it up, then I will post some pictures.

Transfer costs? Uhhhhhh! Our only official tranfer costs are on things like machine guns and silencers, pretty much. That is a nasty catch to deal with.

[an Enfield falling block .303, with a couple of dates from the late 1800s.]

That sounds more like an Enfield Martini-Henry tipping block.
Is it a rifle, or a carbine, and does it look something like this ? :

DSCN1541.jpg

G'day.
PetahW, that looks like the beast. I don't know much about this era of firearm so please forgive me if I make an incorrect statement.

Tom2, in Queensland Australia it costs $21.35 to make an application for a permit to acquire (a firearm). For centerfire weapons one must supply a genuine reason why the firearm is required and cannot be satisfied another way. SD & HD are not acceptable, and proof of permission to hunt on private property, or gun club membership needs to be provided. There are many other restrictions as well including no semi-auto.
Once you get the approval, the guns must be transferred through a gun dealer. Probably similar to your FFL. The transfer fee is set at $11.00 but the gun dealer is allowed to charge up to $15.00. My local dealer charges $25.00 and if anybody complains he doesn't do the transfer and then you have to drive 400 miles each way to the next gun dealer.

Does anybody have any drawings, parts list, or other information on this type of gun?

I will try and get some details (dates, stamping, photos etc) posted soon.

Well, congrats! looks like a fun gun to shoot!

Man, that's a real bummer how strict they are in Australia. Hell, here in Colorado, i don't even need a legit reason/permit to buy an AK-74 i've got my eye on. Could've picked it up when I was 18 if I had the cash...

G'day, update time.
The guy that is 'storing' the guns I'm getting is talking about leaving town. If he leaves before the transfer I'll have to 'look after' them till the paperwork goes through.
The owner does not have a weapons licence, therefor can not keep them himself.

G'day, it's here. Not in very good condition at all. It has seen a lot of use over the years and has some parts that are broken or badly worn. Photos and more details to follow

Quite a few of those were recently found in Nepal. Some are British, but others were locally made. All are reportedly in poor shape, with cracked and battered stocks, rusted receivers and barrels, and missing parts.

I hope yours is not one of those, but that seems to be the current source.

The Martini action is (IMHO) one of the best of the single shot military actions in terms of firing rate. Much faster than the American "trapdoor" or the German bolt actions.

Jim

Interesting rifle......I have a couple Enfields and like the 303 British, have used it on Whitetails. Do not like those paperwork requirements however, kinda scary :barf:

Aussie Gun

The thing is, I'm sure that virtually all crime has stopped in Australia due to the stringent gun laws....same as in California, New York, Illinois, Washington. But, I digress...

Back