First Class III Weapon - Question

CyberSEAL

So I've been thinking about getting my first class III weapon, probably going to be an MP5 or an M249 SAW. I live in Virginia and my local LEO's will sign off on it, my question is about the BATF inspection requirements. I have searched here and on other forums and have yet to find a definitive answer.

Can the BATF come to my home 24/7/365 and demand to inspect the weapon itself?

If you buy the weapon as a private citizen or non-firearms related business... No, unless they go through due process and get a warrant from a judge.

If you buy the weapon for your federally licensed firearms business. Yes.

Have you even looked at the prices for those weapons? A transferable MP5 only goes for about $13,000. A transferable M249 would be well over $100,000. Hell you see prices for pre-sample M249s for $50,000-75,000 all the time.

While I can't give any info, I must say that is makes me incredibly sad to see guns costing this much because of some stupid law. :( I mean, 100,000 dollars plus all the hoops you have to jump through............It makes me want to cry.

Uhhh, I've seen both 249's and MP5's for less than 10 grand, is that a dealer only price I'm seeing? I saw an M249 on gunbroker.com just a month or so ago for about 7 grand. I have some land that needs clearing, thought it would be good for that, lol.

Sonofa... I can afford either at those prices but would never pay it on principle. Perhaps I'll get an FFL and deal with the inspection threat...

I may be wrong, but from what I understand, becoming a class III dealer simply to get your own machine gun(s) is a felony. You actually have to have a store front and do business. Your home could be your business if you didn't have zoning restrictions.

I don't think you have to have a storefront, I believe you are correct about performing business functions of some sort though. Good point, I've sold a few guns on gunbroker before, so I could continue doing that to justify my FFL. Maybe not thought, if anyone else has info on this it would be appreciated. Thanks!

The SOT to deal in machineguns is $1,000 per year. To get a post-86 sample, you will still need a letter from a law enforcement or government agency requesting a demostration of that firearm. You can get pre-86 dealer samples without the letter, but their cost is rapidly approaching that of transferrable machineguns. If you give up the SOT, you must get rid of any post-86 samples in your inventory.

If you want an MP5, pay the $10,000 to $15,000 for a transferrable gun. You will end up spending about that amount trying to start up a FFL/SOT business and then acquire a dealer sample.

Back