First black powder revolver

about a month ago I purchased a pietta 1851 colt navy from the Sportsman's Warehouse I brought it home the next me and my dad tried tofigure out how to clean it the instruction book said tap the wedge pin out but it didnt say you had to push a spring down :mad: so we took it back to the Sportsman's Warehouse they sent it back to the factory its due back any time now any advice for my first time :confused: anything helps

Slim

Last edited:
Slim,

Sorry you and your dad didn't try a little harder. The spring isn't really the problem, it is usually bevelled, if you can get it to move, at all, the spring just pops down, the wedge comes out.

Seems from a lot of new buyers, the mfgs drive the wedge in way too tight. You buy one, get scared you will hurt it with as big a hammer as they must be using.

When you get the replacement, you might have the same problem. Use, if you can find it, a piece of 1/8 X 1/2 by however long you can get it, mebbe 3 inch flat stock. Transmits more impact than a brass drift, say 1/8 inch, can do. Smack it and don't worry about the spring.

When you reassemble it, thumb in the wedge, if you want, give it a LITTLE tap to seat it. DON'T hammer it in, all you will do is stretch the holes, wear it out prematurely.

Have fun, come back, tell us more.

Cheers,

George

when we first looked at it it looked stuck so my dad tap it and it didnt budge later we took it to
a friend of ours who used to be a gun smith and he said the factory did something that got it stuck

Last edited:
Back