First big oops in awhile

Metal god

So I'm sitting there trying to adjust my micrometer adjustable powder measure ( Hornady ) to throw 23gr of AR-comp . I turn and nothing , turn some more and still nothing . It keeps dropping the same charge no matter how much I turn the dial . Turns out the set screw was loose on the knob and it could spin with out adjusting . I tighten it up but it's still slipping . Keep in mind I'm doing this with the measurer full of powder .

So I grab the body of the powder measure and squeeze it tight so I can crank down on the set screw not realizing I just push the release button on the micrometer plunger

MRCgmZ.jpg

Which caused the plunger to drop freely from the powder measure . :eek:

1le8IY.jpg

Resulting in 3.5oz or 1,500 grains of AR-comp to dump out of the powder measure all over the place . :mad: Who says stick powder doesn't meter well , seemed to flow out just fine to me :p Oh and of course I had to have one of the drawers open to catch some powder .

ciPc1K.jpg

Don't you just hate it when you do bone headed stuff . This was SO preventable ! I was able to save about 500gr but the rest was on the floor and now the floor is clean so at least some good came from it lol

Last edited:
I did the old leave the drain open on my RCBS chargemaster last week. Lost a oz or two of N133. Must be something in the air

My usual is to forget to raise the case up to the powder measure and then drop a load. Or forgetting to reset the measure and throw a charge for my 6.5 CM into a .223 case.

Wait . . .

Wait . . . I thought it was required to do this kind of thing at least once in every reloading session. Wow. Relieved I can stop. :-)

Life is good.
Prof Young

I don't know how many times I have left the port open on the Auto dispenser.

Worst in times like this is to see a few case loads go on the floor.,

Like the time we were surveying, I had bought a 1.75 of Canadian Mist (only for evening when we were done surveying and had the calcs done!)

Jug slips out of the rear seat, hits the only rock in the driveway and gone, I could have cried.

Got the truck unloaded, down to the local liquor store and bought a 750 for 5 x the price of the 1.75.

At least the 1.75 went quick no lingering (or lapping up)

Well it’s nice ( for me anyways) to see I’m not the only one .

Almost did it again last night , went to tighten the nut on the stand and felt me start to depress the release button again . Scared the crap out of me lol . The funny thing is that I’ve mounted that thing hundreds of times and never remember pushing on that release button . Maybe I had been but never pushed it enough to release the plunger . Maybeb now that I have I’m hyper sensitive to it .

I don't have my Hornady measure anymore, I swapped it to a buddy for his Lyman 55 and I much prefer the 55.

My Hornady never had such a button, it had a set screw. And while I see what an amazing time saver that must be (laying on THICK sarcasm here, don't miss the sarcasm), this "improvement" seems like a silly disaster waiting to happen.
Who says stick powder doesn't meter well , seemed to flow out just fine to me :p
You got a chuckle out of me here.

Back