First AR: What to do?

zualet

Inactive
I recently assembled my first AR but I don't know what to do know? Should I take it to the range and have fun or are the things I need to do to make it ready? Background: I bought a PWA lower before they became illegal (CA) and recently recieved the Wilson Combat M4 upper as a birthday gift from grandma. Is it safe to shoot right now? Or, should I clean and/or lubricate it first? The barrel is carbon steel barrel and Wilson told me it did not require breaking in. Or, should I take it to someone to have it inspected first? (It is all new.) Any advice will bring me closer to enjoying my new AR sooner, so thank you for any advice.

Well, I bought a box full of AR parts, years ago, and put it all together. Everything seemed to work okay; it dry-fired just fine. I took it out and shot it and it went Bang! with no problems...In other words, they're not real difficult.

It oughta have a very thin coating of gun oil on the moving parts...If the barrel has a shiny hole in it, shoot it. :)

Shooting will polish the barrel; it sure won't hurt it to run a cleaning rod with a dab of solvent--followed by a dry patch--every five or ten rounds for the first 50 or so shots.

I've shot many different brands of commercial reloads. From what folks say, here, about the only brand to avoid is "Wolf"; it's a dirty sort of powder...

FWIW, Art

Here's what you do....clean it up,oil her down real good,then ship it to me for further testing.You can even send me a couple thousand rounds of various ammo if you want.Contact me at myhappyshack@att.net for shipping instructions.

If you don't want to take advantage of PointBlank's generous offer...

then headspace your rifle with a min & a max gauge. If it passes both test, if you live in the middle of nowhere, you can test fire it at home using a blank adapter and blanks. Of course, wear eye & ear when you try this. Otherwise, make sure the parts are lightly lubricated (barrel & chamber should be oil free) and go to the range. Sight in at 25 yards first and then go out to 100. Good luck and congratulations.

The guy bought a complete Wilson upper. He doesn't need to screw around with headspacing, etc. He just needs to clean and lube it (I'd use Mobil 1, 15W50) and shoot a few zillion rounds through it. PLEASE, don't use any Wolf ammo in your new AR!!

You sure got a sweet, thoughtful and generous lady for a grandma.

Sounds like it's safe to shoot in CA if you registered it last year. If not, save it for a Nevada vacation.

Back