Firing old Merwin & Hulbert .38

Chipperman

I have an old .38 Merwin & Hulbert revolver. In the past, I've taken it to gun shops looking for info. They all said it's worthless. Tonight I looked on the web, and see that they are very collectable revolvers. Apparently they are all pre-1899. It's in fair condition, about 60-70% nickel plating still there. The bore looks fine, and the cylinder is tight when locked in SA.

My question is whether or not it would be advisable to fire it. If it would be ok, what would be the best low-pressure factory loads to use? Any info would be appreciated.

Chip:

I think your gun is chambered for the 38 Smith & Wesson cartrige.

If it is tight and sound, it should be Ok with *black powder* handloads.

I have made some of these and shot some of the old Iver Johnson's etc. it is a fun cartrige when loaded to original specs.

Original load was 145 grain lead bullet and all the 3F powder you can get into the case ( about 15 grains <s> )

This gets you about 600 fps- its no magnum load thats for sure, but every time you fire one, you will grin- sorta like firing a big cap gun.

Jim

------------------
Lay up some blackpowder and flints
The rest we can build, if need be

Thanks for the info, Jim.
Are there any commercial loads with those specs? I presently do not handload. I 'spose this would give me good excuse to start ;)

Back