Firing Line show?

Miss Demeanors

Has anyone ever heard of this show? I haven't but thought it was pretty ironic......

Buckley's Run Ends on `Firing Line'
By DAVID BAUDER=
AP Television Writer=
NEW YORK (AP) _ After 33 years as the conservative beachhead on
television, ``Firing Line'' is declaring a cease-fire.
William F. Buckley taped the final two episodes Tuesday of his
PBS series, which started at conservatism's ebb and provided a
forum for Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher. The last show will
air during the last week of December.
``You've got to end sometime and I'd just as soon not die
onstage,'' said Buckley, 74. ``That it ends at the millennium gives
it a poetic touch.''
Before ending his 1,429th and last show with a champagne toast,
Buckley told viewers, ``say your prayers, stay healthy and thanks
for sticking with `Firing Line' all this time.''
The National Review magazine founder started ``Firing Line'' in
1966, in the midst of President Lyndon Johnson's Great Society and
two years after Barry Goldwater's humiliating defeat. His ideas
advanced with the conservative movement, through the glory years of
Reagan and Mrs. Thatcher.
The 1990s saw ``Firing Line'' often drowned out by the combative
political talk that proliferated on cable television. It was cut
from an hour to 30 minutes.
``I don't think it has the impact it had because there are so
many things you can watch with conservatives and liberals,'' said
William Kristol, editor of the conservative Weekly Standard and an
ABC commentator. ``That wasn't the case in the late 1960s.''
Kristol, 46, said as a teen-ager he watched Reagan debate Bobby
Kennedy on the Vietnam War, with Buckley serving as moderator.
``For people of my generation, Bill Buckley was pretty much the
first intelligent, witty, well-educated conservative one saw on
television,'' he said. ``He legitimized conservatism as an
intellectual movement and therefore as a political movement.''
Kristol was one of six panelists on Buckley's final show,
participating in a discussion that meandered through West Coast
politics, abortion, the free market, the Sexual Revolution and
Washington nightlife.
Despite its title, ``Firing Line'' stood out as a forum where
ideas could be debated at length and not screamed across a table.
Buckley was always willing to give time to an intelligent idea,
even when he disagreed, conservative columnist George Will said.
``Americans watch billions of hours of television and almost
never see a conversation,'' Will said. ``They see talking heads,
they see interrogations, they see shticks of various sorts,
monologues, but actual conversation and protracted discussion of
any sort is unheard of.''
While conservative heroes like Mrs. Thatcher, Goldwater, Jerry
Falwell and Jack Kemp were Buckley guests, he also brought on such
liberal figures as George McGovern, Daniel Patrick Moynihan, John
Kenneth Galbraith and Eugene McCarthy.
Buckley and ``Firing Line'' were saluted this week in _ of all
places _ the liberal magazine The Nation. Writer Christopher
Hitchens said ``Firing Line'' was one of the best places for people
of all political stripes to explain themselves.
``I did my first `Firing Line' in 1983 and swiftly learned that
if I left the studio cursing at what I hadn't said, it was my own
fault,'' Hitchens wrote.
``Firing Line'' is seen on about 300 of PBS's 350 stations
nationally. Buckley has endorsed a successor: He is urging more PBS
stations to pick up ``Uncommon Knowledge,'' a weekly public affairs
program with Peter Robinson, a former Reagan speechwriter, as host.
It is seen on 75 PBS stations.

Miss Demeanors,

I have watched this show quite a few times. When the topic was of interest to me (oftentimes, it dealt with a really lofty, esoteric issue that I either didn't "get" or otherwise couldn't get very excited about), it was pretty entertaining.
I recall one episode when the Rev. Jesse Jackson was Buckley's guest. The good Rev. got vocally irritated when Buckley's vocabulary (which is truly incredible) extended beyond one or two syllables. Jesse was convinced that Bill Buckley was being overly condescending (even by Buckley's standards). In fact, Jesse was severely overmatched (he almost always is), and this host (unlike most) was not inclined to pander to and coddle him. This episode was later parodied by Saturday Night Live, depicting Jackson as a crying five year old, with Buckley (in all his arrogant condescending glory) barraging the little boy with bigger and bigger words, making the little boy cry louder and ultimately call for his mommy. It was hilarious.

Buckley truly is a colorful, intelligent conservative stalwart, and the Firing Line will be missed. Something tells me, however, that we haven't heard the last of him.

BTW, what did you find "ironic" about this?

Oscar

Oscar, I thought it was ironic because it was called Firing line (like this place) was a discussion show (similar to this place) and then they said "ebb", I was thinking electronic bulletin boards. LOL I never saw this show nor have I heard of it.

nevermind......the brain is working overtime now. ;)

No sweat, Miss D. (Apparently, I'm the slow one.) Too bad the show is ending. It was a rare airing of conservative beliefs (including, occasionally, pro-RKBA beliefs) on television, especially on PBS (the Propaganda Broadcasting System).

Regards,
Oscar

With the exception of Ronald Reagan, Bill Buckley is the father of modern American Conservatism. All thru the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's Buckley has been the champion of limited government, and a voice in the wilderness for those of us who believe in personal responsibility, morality, and accountability. He writes great fiction too.

Miss D

Say it isn't so!!

I was raised by demo's (kinda like the wolves...just kiddin dad!) and William F. was my only saving grace...My parents just couldn't understand why I watched that blasted show.

As a matter of fact, when I first found TFL, I thought it was ironic that it was named after Firing Line.

Although I haven't seen it in a while, Buckley will be missed.

Dago

William F. Buckley, Jr.

A true intellectual by any definition. In spite of the fact that I cannot agree with the man on every issue, in particular foregn trade policies, I respect him nonetheless. Mr. Buckley is a genius and uses his intellect as a thinker....Not just in an accedemic manner, but rather he studies each issue an tries to come to rational, logical conclusions. This is something that very few people possessing high IQs actually strive to accomplish.

Listening to his interviews usually left me with an impression that God has created a man who can intellegently express the truth, who uses his God-given brain to a very large extent of its potential. Something that amazes me and puts me to shame that I do not study and exercise my own mind more than I do, as humble and limited as it is. I find that many are turned off by his vocabulary. I am not. I find that his ever growing vocabulary is not an expression used for the purpose of arrogantly impressing others as the psuedointellectuals do. It is rather a means of expression and extension of his personality for the purpose of communicating complex issues. It took concentration to sit and take it all in. There are not many people that I can sit and listen to for a solid half hour without commercial breaks.

Another point of observation about William Buckley is his tenacity and resolution to his beliefs without compromise. He went up against THE biggest liberals, as well as fellow conservatives (even, respectfully, Ronald Reagan), without wavering. He won debates against the best of them while still winning the hearts of the audience.

Lastly, I believe that the man may have been a Christian. I know his denominational ties, which he expressed much opposition to doctrinally. One of his interviewees was a liberal Episcapalian Minister who wrote a book. The minister refered to salvation as a process of good deeds...of helping the poor, of baptism, and sharing the wealth of America with the poor masses of the world. William F. Buckley boldly, yet politely, corrected the religious man by telling him that his message was a marxist "social gospel" and not according to the Bible. Mr. Buckley quoted John 3:16 and explained that salvation from condemnation and eternal punishment was not from good works, but rather from placing one's confidence in Jesus Christ and His substitutionary sacrifice upon Mount Calvary. That everything that needed to be done for him to have eternal life was accomplished by the Savior, not by Marxist ideology. The minister's reply was silence. You could have heard a toothpick hit the carpet. How profound, yet so simple. One thing he constantly did was to be able to intellegently engage experts in their own field and often excel them in their given subject. Some guys can get excited and cheer for their football team, or whatever. While he was on the air on our local station, we'd often find ourselves cheering one minute and the next, "Shhhhhh! I want to hear this."

I'd like to meet him some day and sit down to dinner and talk with him. I doubt if I ever will have that honor.....at least not in this world. But maybe some day..... :)

To conclude each program, it was a tradition to turn up the Bach as the trumpets would call out the end until next time......for 33 years. What a legacy Mr. Buckley. You will truly be missed..............

Robert

[This message has been edited by EQUALIZER (edited December 15, 1999).]

I always forget to read his syndicated colums. I guess I'll have to spend tonight catching up.

------------------
“The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals. ... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.” -Alexander Addison, 1789

Back