• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Firing Line Mailer - Links partially parsed

10CFR

Lately, when I get email notifications that someone has replied to a thread, the link provided doesn't work unless I highlight the whole link and copy it into my browser's url line.

If I click on the link in the body of my email, like we are supposed to do, it doesn't work right. Only part of the link is underlined and only that part is parsed if I click on it, resulting in a trip to The Firing Line with a message of "no thread specified."

:confused:

It sounds like one of the characters in the URL is erroneously signaling the end of the link.

I can think of a few things that might solve your problem.

The first is that it could be your email program and not TFL. Check your preferences and be sure that you have them set to automatically make links out of URLs.

Another possibility is to right click on the link in the email and then choose "copy link location" Then you can paste the saved URL into the address window of your browser.

A third possibility is to "subscribe" to the thread in question. Then when you go to your user control panel, there will be a link to the thread for you to click on.

You've already discovered one solution (cut and paste). Hopefully these others will help also. :)

-Dave

Most of the newer e-mail clients will automaticly end the URL at the ? in the URL. No way around it other then to get a new e-mail client or continue to copy and paste the URL.

Another possibility is to right click on the link in the email and then choose "copy link location" Then you can paste the saved URL into the address window of your browser.

BluesMan, That is what I am currently doing. That works. ZipLip is weird anyway, but hey, it's free.

Caeca Invidia Es, I checked and that is exactly what it is doing. Ending the url at the "?" Thanks for your attention.

-10CFR

Back