Firing first batch of 38spl reloads

BondoBob

I finally got the range yesterday and fired my first batch of reloads, 38 spl. I was a bit nervous at first but they seemed fine and I soon gained confidence in my work and what I've learned here. Thank you all for that.

It was Awesome! They felt so smooth and consistent.

I made batches of rounds building up from a starting load of 3.0gr to 3.4gr of Trailboss with 125 speer jaceted bullets. I used two guns a 2" J-frame and a 4" K-Frame. Absolutely no sting with the 2", I could practice all day.

However, I did notice some keyholing. And I've never seen this before with either gun with any factory ammo. I'm wondering if the fact that these loads were so light had something to do with that. I did not notice the keyholing right away. But I believe it was from the 2" barrel and from the lighter rounds I shot first.

Any thoughts on what could cause these rounds to keyhole? And as I progress to more of a charge would this go away?

attachment.php

Two images show the keyholing which was I believe from the 3.0 and 3.1 charges (probably the 2") and the last batch is showed in the 2nd image with target headshots at 3.4 of Trailboss.

attachment.php

Attachments

• hZVSzjVw.jpeg
    hZVSzjVw.jpeg
    12.4 KB · Views: 228
  • YpcpSNXw.jpeg
    YpcpSNXw.jpeg
    11.9 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Congratulations. 38 Spl is a great place to start. You hit the nail on the head with RE: light loads. You could always try .358 dia bullets, too.

How was that target mounted? If it was suspended from the top and free to swing, each bullet will tend to push the target while it (the bullet) starts to penetrate the paper. Mounting paper targets to a corrugated cardboard backer alleviates this factor.

I pretty much stick to lead bullets at target to service level velocities. Any bullet has to "bump up" when fired and it takes a decent powder charge.

The target was just hanging from the top. So that makes sense. I'll keep working up the load and try 3.5 to 3.9 next batch.

How was that target mounted? If it was suspended from the top and free to swing, each bullet will tend to push the target while it (the bullet) starts to penetrate the paper.

The target was just hanging from the top. So that makes sense.

I'm with Aguila Blanca. I'm not convinced your bullets are tumbling.

I am curious at what range were these targets placed?

Keep doing what you're doing. You may proceed sir. ;)

The targets were at 30 feet.

I'm not the smartest guy in here, but I would think that 10 yards is an awfully short distance for a bullet to keyhole. I'm sticking with the flimsy target theory. :)

fired my first batch of reloads, 38 spl. I was a bit nervous at first

I remember that "nervous" feeling, I also remember firing my first pistol reload about 45 years ago when I stood behind a tree & reached around it to fire that first round...I was confident that I had done everything correctly but dang, here was this tree, why not hide behind it...lol

I would agree that the target hang is probably the reason for key hole.

Welcome to reloading!!!

I remember that "nervous" feeling, I also remember firing my first pistol reload

Not me. Never gave it a second thought.

Not because I had that much confidence in my ammo, mind you. But because when I was 21 years old, I thought I was 10 feet tall and bullet-proof. Arrogant. Lucky too; just so happens.

That was dozens of life's humbling experiences ago ;)

Back