Firing .22wmr out of a .22LR pistol...!!! Consequences...

Gregory Gauvin

A really stupid idea. A really stupid question. I have a H&R model 622 revolver. I know it is suitable to fire any .22 short or .22lr ammunition. However, the gun itself, or barrel, no where says caliber.

My question is, why did they manufacture the gun with a cylinder that is long enough to accommodate a .22wrm round? Or it at least appears that magnum rimfires will chamber - I haven't tried stuffing one in.

Could the gun handle a .22wrm? The barrel is beefy enough to certainly withstand the higher pressure. I highly doubt the gun would explode. Any input on this? It's a gun I frankly don't care much about - I found it in my grandmother's oven (yea, old people for ya)...

I would load it up with .22wrm and firing it at distance from a rest and a pull string to see what happens. Or does anybody know for a fact that it would destroy the gun?

Well...I answered my own question. I thought a .22wmr was just an elongated version of a .22lr, not realizing the base diameter and neck diameter are slightly larger. I measured the cylinder chamber and clearly a .22wmr would not fit.

I would think since H&R did manufacture .22wmr revolvers, they used the same cylinders and simply chambered them differently, but used the same cylinder lengths to cut production costs and reduce machining time.

Has anyone ever taken a cylinder and reamed the .22lr chamber out to .22wmr specs? I understand doing so, you would no longer be able to fire .22lr ammo in there.

Look at your H&R revolver cylinder unlike say Ruger for example the front of the cylinder has a ring around it the protects the heads of the rimfire .22s

Ii one had a spare cylinder for their 622 then yes you could ream it but reaming would also remove the protective rim and it would have to be a step ream to allow for clearance......so why do to pay more money. I had one of those Security Single Sixes.......I never fired the .22WRM cylinder as they are way to expensive for me.

I guess it's a common thing for these guns for their age to have the nylon mainspring guide rod break. I took my pistol apart for cleaning, and found the nylon top of the guide rod nearly cracked in half. I was surprised the pistol still functioned. Nonetheless, I ordered a new main spring and guide rod from Numrich. Only this time I ordered a steel one. Same price. I figured why replace with another junky nylon one.

This pretty common?

Back